Total amateur in need of advice.

Visit site
Good morning all,

Over the 6/7 weeks i've been trying to get into golf and i'm loving it so far. I've been playing a 9 hole short par 3 course near to me once a week with a couple of friends. I've stopped going there & have said i'm going to go the driving range to practice before i get into actual golf so that i'm not getting too high of a score whilst there. I bought a cheap set of clubs from Ebay like a little starter set.

Does anybody know of any recommended youtube videos that will help with my grip,swing etc.

A few people have told me to get some lessons before starting also, which i think i will. Do you recommend this also?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thankyou.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome, and we are mostly total amateurs on here with a few notable exceptions, total beginner would have been a better term to use.

Yes lessons are a good place to start, videos can be helpful but to get a reliable swing going to a pro is the best option, as they can see what you are doing and help you to correct problems, something a video cannot do.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Don't be afraid to play.
Working on the range is fine but that's where you learn to hit the ball. The golf course is where you learn to play.
I held back from playing, spending a whole winter on the range as I didnt any to "embarrass" myself.
When I joined a club and started playing I was way better than most of the rest of the club..!

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There are lots and lots of youtube vids by professional golfers and it can become very confusing as they all have their own opinions on what helps and what doesn't. As said get your self some lessons try group lessons first they tend to be a little cheaper and you will meet like minded people.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Don't don't don't groove a bad swing. Get some lessons on the basics ASAP. Stand in front of a full length mirror checking your grip & stance. If possible video yourself between lessons to see whether the swing looks right. Watch lots of videos of good players so you know what a good swing looks like. The golf swing is such an unnatural action that few people will be able to do it naturally. The longer you use a bad swing, the harder it will be to get out of the habit.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the mad house, IMHO you should get a few lessons ASAP , before you develop any bad habits.

Then report back on your progress, best of luck.