Top Five All Time Favorite Golfers

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Tough question. If I'd been into golf for only a few years it would be easy but I started watching golf in the 60's.

Tom Watson.
Jack Nichlaus.
Seve
Woods

Rory.

Truthfully, I could have had maybe 10 names in 5th place. Lyle, Langer, Norman, Woosnam, Westwood, Johnny Miller, Luke Donald, Els, Stenson, Olazabal.

Just revisiting this thread. Was sat thinking earlier about the golfers I've had the pleasure of watching at tournaments around Europe. TV allows us access to golf around the world but doesn't really convey the click of contact and the fizz of the ball as it rockets away.

Only one player made me stop in my track and go "wow!" Seve was at his very best when I saw him the first time. Turnberry was baring its teeth that day. Not a full on growl but enough to make life difficult for the pro's, and enough to see the need for waterproofs just to keep warm on the first day of the Open. The golf from the other pro's was what I expected, good solid golf but not having that wow factor.

I walked over a rise in the ground to see a group just teeing off about 100yds away. The first 2 hit great drives, and then the 3rd golfer teed off. "Who the hell is that? What the hel have I just seen?" We'd been on the course about an hour at that point, and seen a good few golfers as we'd wandered from group to group.

Seve was a clear head and shoulders above anyone we saw that day. Greg Norman went on to win that year, '86, but Seve was wow!

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Tiger - marshaled for him in a practice round in 1996 - photographed him in three of his four rounds at the open this year - nothing in sport is like being inside the ropes with him
John Daly - watched him hammer Sam Torrence at the Dunhill in late 80s early 90s and watched him close up as he won the Open in 95 - what a sight to see on his day
Freddie Couples - always loved his swing - pure beauty
Kim Sei-Young - after a week of photographing the men at the Open last year it was a pleasure to see how the girls interacted with the public and press at the Scottish ladies - she was the nicest though all of them were excellent
Ian J Poulter - the Postman - the man who delivers at the best sporting event in the World

Hoganman1

Visit site
Didn't mention him in my list as focused on current golfers, but absolutely love watching Seve hit balls. Regularly go back to this Youtube video:

Thanks for sharing the video of Seve. BTW, do you know what brand of clubs he played ?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Thanks for sharing the video of Seve. BTW, do you know what brand of clubs he played ?

He was contracted to Slazenger for quite a while when playing in the UK and indeed the bag in the video is a Slazenger.
There's a video on YouTube of him playing a match against Jack Nicklaus who at one point asks what irons he's using, "Supremo" is his reply. The Supremo was a Slazenger model as below.

1553281781226.png

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Here's the YouTube clip dating from 1986, see 12 mins in, but the whole thing is a good watch!

(Seve has put quite a bit of lead tape on the club discussed.)

D

Deleted member 18588

He was also contracted to Sounder in USA.

More than once he was seen to be using Slazenger in America and Sounder in Europe.

The caddy made sure that he had the right bag and headcovers though.

Hoganman1

Visit site
Here's the YouTube clip dating from 1986, see 12 mins in, but the whole thing is a good watch!

(Seve has put quite a bit of lead tape on the club discussed.)

Thank you so much for that video. I love watching these two play.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seve, naturally.
Greg Norman: love the attack and drama of his swing.
Phil Mickelson: Plays with a smile on his face. I like that. Too many players look sullen or sour-faced.
Payne Stewart: Fabulous, willowy swing.

Could pick one from many for the fifth player. In recent times have become interested in Ray Floyd, particularly with being able to watch Masters re-runs on You Tube. Had quite an ugly swing but there's something fascinating about watching it as you expect it to produce a poor shot each time. Liked his chutzpah as well.