All-time greatest golfers list (open to debate)

Ross

Visit site
I've devised a formula to attempt to determine an all-time list of the greatest ever golfers.

Initial criteria is minimum 7 majors for a top 10 spot.

A player cannot overtake another that has more majors outwith top 10.

Definitive criteria is:
Major wins
Top 10s in majors
Worldwide victories
Win span in years
Ryder cup apps.

The results are as follows:

1 Nicklaus
2 Snead
3 Woods
4 Player
5 Hagen
6 Hogan
7 Palmer
8 Watson
9 Sarazen
10 Vardon
11 Jones
12 Faldo
13 Trevino
14 Ballesteros
15 Thomson
16 Nelson
17 JH Taylor
18 Braid
19 Els
20 Locke
21 Mickelson
22 Floyd
23 Barnes
24 Park Sr
25 Anderson
26 Morris Jr
27 Morris Sr

I believe it comes out fairly well balanced without any really obvious flaws.
*woods will in time rise to number 2 nudging slammin' Sam down a notch but for now remains in 3rd spot.

Feel free to correct me. As debate is the purpose of a forum.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't think its fair to use Ryder Cup appearances as part of your criteria... Not all are eligible and back in the day it didn't necessarily have the perceived importance it has now...

Ross

Visit site
Firstly. Thanks for responses

I take on board point regarding inclusion of Ryder cup apps as a criteria.
Possibly slightly unfair against non Americans & Europeans I suppose.

Reason I had included this is that being on these teams signifys the player is of a high standard and therefore multiple apps suggest you are at top end of game for a longer time meaning they have longevity and not just a flash in the pan type player.

T

thecraw

I'd have Monty ahead of a lot of them. Majors are a flawed way of looking at overall success.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Any list that doesn't have Tiger at the top is nonsense imo. It isn't even close; he is the greatest golfer ever to play the game and by quite a distance. Nostalgia rules far too many people's logic.

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Hi Ross I think there is a fundamental flaw in your model in that it doesn't take into consideration the opposition/quality of the field. Let's take your number one for example Mr Niklaus - I dare say a certain Tom Watson or Arnold Palmer may have won more events if he hadn't been around and as a result they are down in 7 and 8. That doesn't mean that either of them aren't better than those listed above them.

In addition to Ryder Cup I think there is also a bit of unfair balancing based on freedom/ability to travel for the older generation of players.

That said an interesting starting point...

However, the way I see it the only real way to test your theory would be to do a history assignment Bill and Ted style, round up all the greats of the game in their prime and have them play two full seasons against each other ;)

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Does the next 'new messiah' automatically become 'the greatest' Rocky style?

Nope, we judge him properly and if he is better than Tiger, then he's the best. Tiger is by far and away the greatest talent and the most prolific golfer amongst strong fields EVER.

Philm

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi Ross I think there is a fundamental flaw in your model in that it doesn't take into consideration the opposition/quality of the field. Let's take your number one for example Mr Niklaus - I dare say a certain Tom Watson or Arnold Palmer may have won more events if he hadn't been around and as a result they are down in 7 and 8. That doesn't mean that either of them aren't better than those listed above them.

Very true the strength of the opposition would have had major influence.

anyone know how many majors els has won now? im sure its been on the news, ive just missed it!

Phil

T

thecraw

Nope, we judge him properly and if he is better than Tiger, then he's the best. Tiger is by far and away the greatest talent and the most prolific golfer amongst strong fields EVER.

So why would you perceive that todays fields are stronger than Jack, Miller, Arnie, Watson, Trevino, Jacklin, Player, Ballesterous, Floyd, Nelson, Casper, Fuzzy etc????

Not so sure buddy!