Top Five All Time Favorite Golfers

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Tough question. If I'd been into golf for only a few years it would be easy but I started watching golf in the 60's.

Tom Watson.
Jack Nichlaus.
Seve
Woods

Rory.

Truthfully, I could have had maybe 10 names in 5th place. Lyle, Langer, Norman, Woosnam, Westwood, Johnny Miller, Luke Donald, Els, Stenson, Olazabal.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
In no particular order;

Jack Nicklaus
Moe Norman
Bryson Dechambeau
Seve Ballesteros
Rory McIlroy

......................................... not Gary Player!

D

Deleted Member 1156

Seve
Els
Langer

Those are my clear favourites, plenty of others could fill the last two places.

Wolf

Visit site
5 you say...

Faldo Idolised him growing up, his swing mechanics, tempo, ability to manage his game and shape the ball as required and his mindset to get it done. Now imo he's alps a great pundit.

Couples Is there a cooler golfer than Freddie, his swing is a thing of beauty, his walk has that lazy swagger, he plays aggressive golf in such a relaxed way and he's a really good guy to.

Tiger What's to say that hasn't already been said, simply the best of the generation in all areas except total No majors, absolutely changed the face of golf.

Poulter Simply put the postman always delivers. Watching him in the RC is what makes golf cool to the masses outside the sport, he brings a bit of showmanship, bags of passion and an attitude to matchplay that's brilliant.

Kaymer German efficiency at its best when he was on song. Really like his swing, like how he carries himself on course and off it even with the struggles he been through, just like everything about the guy.

Notable mentions, Els, Norman, Seve and Trevino

Its a hard list to compile

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Seve - always at the top of my list. He is the reason I started watching and getting into golf. Watching some of the video footage and later interviews of him, I can't help thinking there's a bit more arrogance than I remember, but as a golfer, he was and always will be Mr Awesome, and my idol.

Rory - Frustrates the hell out of me at times, but is such a great ball striker. He's an exciting player to watch, and does to a degree (maybe contentiously) remind me of Seve. I'm not suggesting he is as good as Seve was (he could be), but more that he can be really up and down at times, as Seve was frequently.

Stenson - I love the way he strikes a ball. He's Mr Cool, and comes across with a great personality.

Justin Rose - After bursting on the scene at the open, immediately missing cuts and fighting his way back to where he is now. Really like his attitude and like watching him play.

Suzann Pettersen - one of the first female golfers I ever saw. Really graceful ball striker and a great example of poise and elegance.

It's always difficult to choose a top 5 in anything, your own opinion can change on any given day. I remember all the big names through the years, but was never a fan of Nicklaus, Watson, Tiger etc. Of course I respect all they achieved and recognize their abilities, but the list is about my favourites so it is what it is :).

D

Deleted member 1147

In no particular order:
Tiger Woods
Nick Faldo
Greg Norman
Lee Westwood
Colin Montgomerie

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As Big Jack, Arnie etc... are before my time, my top 5 are:
Seve. It's Seve. Seve! He was the man!
Tiger. Can't think of any other player who brought as many people (and therefore money) into the game. Staggeringly good to watch at his peak.
Rory. Current fave player to watch (and daughters fave). When he hits form I can't see any other player on earth beating him.
Phil Mick. He's pulls off shots that others simply wouldn't attempt.
Couples. Simply the most laid back, coolest person I've ever seen on a golf course.

Also rans of Westwood, Faldo, Woosenam, Norman, Poulter, Monty, Scott, Rose, Garcia and Stenson.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is quite difficult for me as I never used to watch much golf until recently.

My favourite player to watch is Bubba Watson - he's just pure entertainment for me. With the funny looking swing, hooks and slices, go big or go home. Love that.

Tiger would obviously have to be in my top five, just unreal in his heyday.

I really don't know how to pick the rest of a top five, but some other golfers I really like are:
Fleetwood - just seems like a top lad
Stenson - coolest man on tour
Rose - another one who seems a top guy, and so insanely consistent
Koepka - just superb all round golf game
Finau - short backswing like mine (similarity ends there) and I love how his cards often seem to be all birdies, eagles and bogeys with no pars
Bryson - I like the fact he does things differently, plus my swing probably also has a small similarity to his
Fowler - just a great player to watch, and an underrated putter in my view
Matsuyama - his iron play is just incredible when he's on form, and that quirky stop in the swing is intriguing
Pepperell - a new edition to my favourite golfers, like Fleetwood he just seems a top lad

So yeah, top 11?

Edit: Just to copy some of the other posts that've reminded me, one older player I do love is Fred Couples. Never seen anyone more laid back on the golf course, fantastic leisurely looking swing, no glove either. Nice to watch.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I’m going for proper characters

Payne Stewart
Jimenez
Lee Trevino
Seve
John Daly

You could watch any of them and be both marvelled and entertained at the same time

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Didn't mention him in my list as focused on current golfers, but absolutely love watching Seve hit balls. Regularly go back to this Youtube video: