Top European at The Masters

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I always have a flutter on the TOP EUROPEAN at The Mastrs and in the past Olly has raked me in a fortune, but this year is so hard to pick one outstanding player as most of the Europeans are on form. I think Stenson has a shout and if Casey lost that ass licking American accent I would like to see him do well. I will be putting a 5'r on jose maria olazabal just for nostalgia but I would like to read your tips for TOP EUROPEAN?

P.S. What price each way for Paul Lawrie ;)(joke)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
For me, it is Stenson first, and then maybe Edfors. Can't see why any of the established guys is going to do it this year, when they have under performed in other years.

Monty anyone?

B

birdieman

I think Harrington will go ok, wont win though. Donald is too short for Augusta, Casey too aggressive. I'm afraid the Euros wont break their majors duck here, much more likely at Carnoustie.
As for Monty - NO WAY. He grumbles too much and head goes down too easily after a couple of bad holes. He's never been a great putter, always relied on stellar iron play instead. Putting is critical here.
A long shot is Aaron Baddeley -number one putter on tour, bet you'll get good odds there.

furyk_or_unique

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I know the European Tour goes to some ridiculous places but surely Australia hasn't yet been annexed to Europe....?

Like your thinking though - a good putter is always a good bet at Augusta which is why Ollie has fared well here over the years. But you also need to be a master tactician which is why Langer has also done well here despite regular putting woes... and also why it may be a bit early for young Baddeley to do well.

Anyone know who is the youngest ever Masters winner? Think it may be Seve but can't be bothered to look it up.

As for someone's Edfors suggestion, if I leave you my address you might as well send me the cash after kissing it fondly goodbye - a European rookie to make the frame at Augusta? No chance!

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Stenson's obviously the in-form Euro but I have to disagree that "Looooooook" is too short for Augusta. Wasn't he a handsome 3rd after Tigger and DiMarco two years ago. Putting's the trick there though and Stenson seems to be doing that well lately. My dosh would be on him.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think Casey has the game as long as he is patient and doesn't try to birdie every hole, I'd love to say Garcia but his putting lets him down too often. I reckon Immelman and Charles Howell III will contend as well, but lets face it, you can't see past Tiger.

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Anyone know who is the youngest ever Masters winner? Think it may be Seve but can't be bothered to look it up.
Seve was the youngest winner of the Masters at the age of 23 (in 1980) until a certain T. Woods came along in 1997 and won by a country mile at the age of 21.

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
No one is mentioning Justin Rose - think he may be in with a shout but otherwise suppose Stenson is a good bet but have a horrid feeling that the European drought will go on. JJ Henry is my tip from the US, good putter and showed how up for trhe big occcassions he is at the Ryder Cup

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
Rose has been out injured hasn't he? Beware of the injured golfer i suppose.

Charles Howell III is and interesting call outside the Europeans as he grew up in Augusta and has plenty of experience there- could be a good e/w!

Can any one really see past Tiger though?

B

birdieman

20 putts for Rose - he cant rely on that kind of putting, he'll need to start hitting more greens. He's kind of half South African isn't he, a bit of a Rusedski I think. David Howell seems like a fairly grounded normal fella, hope he goes well. As for Tiger, it's pathetic that he gets in a huff after a bogey bogey finish and wont speak to the media. The man lives in such a bubble he's lost all touch with reality. He should remember it's the fans that pay his obscene appearance fees etc and he should be professional enough to show the fans some courtesy by doing a short interview and lighten up, it's only round 1 for pete's sake.