Top 100 changes

• Thread starter Deleted member 23270
  • Start date

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Trevose for me, it’s an average links course. RND is marmite but I like marmite. The brabazon was really good when I played it in sept, it justifies its position for me, it’s a far better course than 2010.
Yep I agree with all of these points!

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Trevose for me, it’s an average links course. RND is marmite but I like marmite. The brabazon was really good when I played it in sept, it justifies its position for me, it’s a far better course than 2010.
I agree but I don't like marmite (or sheep c**p) so RND could go for me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd get rid of the Marquess thoroughly enjoyable slog for me. True I played it in the winter and it was a bog. But first impressions and all.
Interesting. I like the course but of course conditions play a huge part in formulating an opinion on anywhere you play. I does get wet and I've played it when it's boggy and because the ball didn't roll up it did feel like a slog. That said, I like the layout (personally) and f you include other aspects the judges mark on such as the welcome for visitors it's always a decent service in the shop and bar area

D

Deleted member 15344

Hmm, does that not apply to quite a few top 100 courses 🤔
Not the courses I have played - some in the high 80/90 may have the odd hole that is ok but the majority have a lot of very good holes with some outstanding, and the courses higher up have 18 brilliant holes with some world class holes

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Not the courses I have played - some in the high 80/90 may have the odd hole that is ok but the majority have a lot of very good holes with some outstanding, and the courses higher up have 18 brilliant holes with some world class holes
I’m not so sure about that I think top twenty have some great holes, a lot of good holes, but one or two that are average.

8th and 10th at St Andrews. Couple on the back nine at Royal County Down. 1st and 17,18th at Portrush. 1st and 18th Royal St George’s off the top of my head. Can’t think of a course I have played that doesn’t have at least a couple of average holes, not bad, but not standout.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hmm, does that not apply to quite a few top 100 courses 🤔

I think it's something you could definitely levy at most courses. I can't think of one I've ever placed where there wasn't a few average holes. That said though for me a top course just seems to flow well and the mix of holes is right, the majority look visually interesting and are enjoyable to play with the course well presented in good condition

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That said though for me a top course just seems to flow well
That's a great point. I can think of a few quite highly rated courses which have some great holes, many good holes BUT they just don't flow right or feel right and they change character mid round.

Plus I'd add I'm not a fan of gimmick holes on otherwise very good (or great) courses

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
TBH, i' surprised we only dropped 5 places. Course in worst condition since i joined, Greens poor for most of the season and the sodding hoops all over the course for most of the summer, some parts haven't been walked on in 2 years yet they are forever roped off. GKs took away a load o gorse and left a mess in particular the 12th. I'm not convinced our committee or Course manages have a clue. That a good 15 places in 8 years we have dropped. course is scruffy in parts and all you get from the Com how great the place is.... sheer hit is going to hit the fan at the next AGM i hope... many members not happy and another 8%increase in fee's on the cards

Course condition clearly doesn't come into it as there is one course I can think of that has been in dreadful condition for over 10 years now and still sits in the top 100.