Too flat back, too flat down, grip too strong

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So after struggling with a bit of constancy of late I opted for a quick video lesson to see what's going on, good days are great bad days can be shocking, so I gathered now is the right time to get it sorted.

The diagnostics were quick to work out, yet again I'm fanning away flat on take away with a strong grip causing me to get very flat at the top with a closed club face. In the effort to save it I throw it slightly at the top to try and get back on plain then do a lot of rescuing with the hands before impact... This paired with firing of the hips generally gives some majorly inconsistent results as you would expect.

After addressing the grip issues the pro suggested taking away outside the line or as steep as possible, then allowing the club to drop in at the top of the swing so that I can power from the inside. Within 10/20 balls this was working well and we also looked at getting the shoulders through the ball at impact (covering the ball) instead of falling off it.

We worked on a few drips to get this feeling one being placing a ball in line with the ball you want to strike but around 18 inches behind it, going back outside of that ball then dropping in and striking from the inside of it.

It's works well and I suppose to a degree is a more extreme version of bobs head cover drill, but my question is does anyone else have any drills that maybe worth ago.

Lucky enough when doing these with the 3 bays I can see instantly if what we are doing is working or not, but yet again I seem to be battling the same issues that I do at the end of every season. Granted the difference being that I normally fix it over November and December, get a bit lax and then it creeps in slowly over the course of the season resulting in always finishing the season in poor form....

Any help appreciated,

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lay a tee down on the mat about 4 inches in front of your ball (target side)... hit your ball AND the tee.

I thought similar, but putting the tee around 18inches behind the ball on line with the target line and try and take the club head away over it, this should hopefully stop me fanning to the inside like a big jesse

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
The club shouldn't go straight back.

And you shouldn't swing to the outside unless it's a piece you need in your swing.

Make sure your left arm swings straight back along your toe line (like the woman on the right)

TrjQmvs.gif

The guy on the left has a good left arm, but the club too low....

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
That's the issue James, if you look at the lady far right, at that position the club would be massively behind me.

You should turn your shoulders to about 45 degrees by this position (known as P2)... but the left arm works independently so you don't suck the left arm to the inside. Sounds like you're too busy 'swinging' your arms....

[video=youtube;8crIFt786jg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8crIFt786jg[/video]

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was given a drill to do once that involved taking the club away to the position in the pic of the lady, then stop and make sure it's correct (move if it isn't), then carry on with the swing.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I find keeping the relationship between the shaft and extended ball to target line going back and coming down is a way to improve ball striking and create better consistency:

[video=youtube;VivoVdUMjLE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VivoVdUMjLE[/video]

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This is the same issue when I started lessons Baz, and also one of the first things my pro looked to correct.

This is, pretty much, the drill my pro recommended

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LZo2ts4C-o

Helped me no end.

I did a similar drill at the range the other night, stuck a tee beg in the matt about 18" behind the ball ensuring I knocked the teen down on every back swing! only had it in the ground a mill or two! just enough to hold it up so it fell very quickly without the resistance you would get from a ball

I find keeping the relationship between the shaft and extended ball to target line going back and coming down is a way to improve ball striking and create better consistency:

[video=youtube;VivoVdUMjLE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VivoVdUMjLE[/video]

All stuff I knew, but nicely thrown together and handy to recap stuff that you sometimes forget