Tom Watsons' advise - This months mag

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Just back from holiday where I've been absorbed in golfing material. A bit of Dr Bob and obviously the GM mag.

In there is some advice from atom Watson on aspects of the swing like grip, rotation and also ball position, the latter where my question come from.

I can't be bothered to re-type what it says in the mag, so here's a picture :D

52ce0aebf6cb51dbf65cbdca33d987ca_zps985e01b0.jpg

I'm especially interested in the bit that says keeping the same position more or less for all clubs aside from the driver.

Is this really plausible?

Take myself as an example. I play everything down to a 5 iron from the centre of my stance. Is it really plausible to play, say, a 3 iron and/or hybrid or fairway wood from this position (... Give or take)

I understand the Nicklaus method of ball in the same spot and adjusting the width of your stance to, effectively move the ball forward and back, but this isn't what's being said here.

Just curious as to your thoughts on this :thup:

D4RK1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I play all my shots out the middle of my stance apart from driver which I play towards my front foot. Say in between middle and front. So 25%. That's just me. Rightly or wrongly.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I play all my shots out the middle of my stance apart from driver which I play towards my front foot. Say in between middle and front. So 25%. That's just me. Rightly or wrongly.

I play all my shots except the driver from the same place. Works (mostly) for me

But do you vary the width of your stance from longer to shorter clubs?

D4RK1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes but only very slightly. Unless its a little bump n un where my feet are very close together. The shorter the shot the closer together they are really.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I play all my shots with the ball in line with the left shirt logo (Or nipple if you dont have a logo :)) I then alter my right foot position depending on the shot. This sets the ball 3 or 4 inches inside my left heel. However, with my driver I place it further forward so it is just inside my left toe, I do this for the same reason that Tom suggests.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
If Tom Watson says it is, but people on here say it isn't, who will you believe?

I know what you mean Gary. The thing I'm getting at is how it's explained.

If he'd said the above, but added "Then I adjust the width of my stance to....." Then it would make sense.

How it reads is that the stance width stays the same and so does the ball position except for the driver.

Just had me a little confused that's all.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

If he'd said the above, but added "Then I adjust the width of my stance to....." Then it would make sense.

How it reads is that the stance width stays the same and so does the ball position except for the driver.

That just cant be correct Gareth. He cant use the same stance for a 3 iron and sand wedge.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

I don't see anything in the article you have quoted to suggest that he is suggesting the 'middle of your stance' as the one position.

Everyone I have read works to SocketRocket's description as the one position. The alternative being to gradually move it back from this position to the centre of the stance as the club gets shorter. I've used both, and see merit in both.

The issue of whether to change the width of your stance on full shots with different length clubs is a much more interesting discussion! :)

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nothing in the article suggests to me that Tom thinks you should keep the ball in the same position, he just says Johnny Miller believed in it and you can probably get away with it except with a driver.

In "The Timeless Swing" (brilliant book which I thoroughly recommend) Tom says

"There are two theories about positioning the ball in your stance.

Some golfers subscribe to the theory that the ball should be in the same place for every club in the bag. Driver through wedges - all just forward of centre.

Others, like me, subscribe to the theory that ball position should vary with the club - forward for longer clubs and back toward the middle for shorter clubs. The reason is that the bottom of the arc moves with the club.

My hitting zone is from the middle of my stance forward. The longer the club, the farther forward I play the ball. For a normal shot with a driver, that's opposite my left heel. For a 5 iron it's a little ahead of centre. For a wedge it's centre.

Remember the importance of finding the bottom of the arc. Everything we do with our swings we do to produce a consistent bottom of the arc. If you know where that is, your ball position can follow. The bottom of the arc, remember, is just before reaching the ball with the driver and just after reaching the ball with the irons (ball - divot)."

Hope that helps.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Just for clarification. I was using myself as an example in advocating centre stance.

From the above:

"With most of the other clubs, you could probably get away with the ball in pretty much the same position" (Driver excepted).

Again. This to me says you could play your sandwedge and a 3 iron from the same position as adjusting stance width to suit is not mentioned.

I guess it's just me that reads t that way :mad:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just for clarification. I was using myself as an example in advocating centre stance.

From the above:

"With most of the other clubs, you could probably get away with the ball in pretty much the same position" (Driver excepted).

Again. This to me says you could play your sandwedge and a 3 iron from the same position as adjusting stance width to suit is not mentioned.

I guess it's just me that reads t that way :mad:

It does to me too - but there is no implication that this could, or should be, the centre of the stance.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
if im looking to fade the ball I move it forward, draw the ball I put in the middle of my stance.

I have yet to find the straight ball position with my s**t swing.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seriously?

absolutely - I can point to a number of Tour pro's who's stance width appears pretty constant through full shots with the fairway clubs (I raise it this way round 'cos there's a lot of film available on them!).

why do you think that what's appropriate as a stance width for a full swing should change with the club in the player's hands? It seems obvious to me that there is inherently one correct stance width for a players full swing...

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
absolutely - I can point to a number of Tour pro's who's stance width appears pretty constant through full shots with the fairway clubs (I raise it this way round 'cos there's a lot of film available on them!).

why do you think that what's appropriate as a stance width for a full swing should change with the club in the player's hands? It seems obvious to me that there is inherently one correct stance width for a players full swing...

As per the OP. Does the ball position move forwards/backwards within that players stance to accomodate longer/shorter clubs?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
As per the OP. Does the ball position move forwards/backwards within that players stance to accomodate longer/shorter clubs?

as per the responses so far, some do and some don't!

there's also the small issue that those players rarely stand on a flat piece of ground playing a normal shot with any club either :lol:

if I had to put money on it I would bet that more retain a single ball position forward of centre as their starting point - normally just behind the low point on their swing arc.