Can only hit the ball when it’s close to my front foot

Lukeozade19

Visit site
Hi all, new to this forum…

What may be the cause for the following problem…

I can only hit consitently when the ball is forward in my stance. The position is the same with whatever club I use. As soon as I put it in the middle or slightly further back from that, I fat shots or shank… it makes me feel so restricted with my swing.

Jason.H

Visit site
If your new to golf I’d consider lessons with a qualified PGA pro local to you. If you start golfing with lots of set up issues it can become ingrained and then take a long time to correct. I’d at least get a lesson or two and get the basics correct from the start such as grip, ball position , alignment and so on.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Nothing wrong with playing the ball well forward & certainly not further back than the centre, unless you're trying to play a low one. I've an 80 year old golf instruction book by Tommy Armour where he advises the average player to play every club from quite well forward.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was always taught that all 'standard' shots are played forward of the middle of the stance.

It is only when you are playing 'speciality' shots that the ball gets move further back e.g punch and runs.

However the amount the ball is forward of the stance varies according to the club being hit. This a good article

https://free-online-golf-tips.com/fundamental-golf-tips/golf-set-up-tips/correct-golf-ball-position/

or for a video try one on this site

https://www.golfmonthly.com/videos/golf-swing-tips/perfect-ball-position-every-club

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ben Hogan always played the ball just inside his lead heel and then adjusted the width of his stance based on the club he was using.

fc063310_Hogan-BallPosition.jpeg

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Some interesting posts re ball position - the pro I'm currently working with keeps telling me I need to have the ball further back in my stance. If I'm hitting 7 iron, he wants it slightly nearer my back foot than my front foot.

Tbh, I'm getting mixed results with this - it's working well at the range, but not on the course.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Some interesting posts re ball position - the pro I'm currently working with keeps telling me I need to have the ball further back in my stance. If I'm hitting 7 iron, he wants it slightly nearer my back foot than my front foot.

Tbh, I'm getting mixed results with this - it's working well at the range, but not on the course.
That's really bad advice, in my opinion. Might work for a young pro but not for us "mature" players. Takes too much physical strength.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
That's really bad advice, in my opinion. Might work for a young pro but not for us "mature" players. Takes too much physical strength.

His view is that, apart from driver, the furthest forward ball position (my 3 hybrid), is the middle of my stance, then move progressively backwards. I’m not convinced by this tbh.

FELL75

Visit site
The pro at my club has advised me that the 7 iron is the centre of stance. For each longer cub it is 1 ball further forward and for each shorter cub it is half a ball back...

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
His view is that, apart from driver, the furthest forward ball position (my 3 hybrid), is the middle of my stance, then move progressively backwards. I’m not convinced by this tbh.
Seems very wrong to me. IMO the furthest back is centre of stance.

When you consider Ben Hogan's method it creates a constant ball position and moving the trail foot puts the ball in the centre with short clubs and progressively forward as they get longer.