Tom Hanks Support Group

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Happened to me in Portugal.

Never suffered from them before and they just had to appear while on a golfing trip. Was hitting hybrids, wood and driver brilliantly and couldnt hit any iron shots. Would be 100 yards from the pin and shank it out of bounds.

The only thing I could put it down to was a lack of turn, once it was in my head it got worse as I wasn't committing to swings and turning even less.

Now I just grip it and rip it, hit the ball hard and go find it again. Hasn't happened since.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For the sake of fluency, let's assume the 'get lessons' comment has been offered and taken on board. :)

I know you like your bargains more than I do however I think lessons are massively the way forward

Yes you go backwards for a little bit but the results feel great when you work at them

I had a lesson this morning.. We worked for a good hour on an idea and the video of my swing after the lesson was almost like watching an overweight professional rather than just someone hacking.

In real terms a 15 yard gain in one club just from improved technique

A course of lessons is definitely worth it..

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
This year, I have developed a problem. It seems to be out of my control. Every round I play now, I tend to hit between 3 and 5 shanks. Often I get two shanks on the same hole, which on Saturday in particular was a bit of a card wrecker. About five rounds ago was when I really started to realise I had a problem - after a really good front nine in a 4BBB Stableford match, I hit a shank on the 10th, two shanks on the 11th, one on the 13th and I was a nervous wreck after that. Since then I'm thinking about it every time I hit an iron or wedge. Praying it doesn't happen. I'm even thinking about it now, two days after I last hit a golf ball for God's sake.

Initially I had a feeling my weight wasn't balance and was going too far onto my toes rather than evenly across my toes and heels, but eventually I still hit some shanks despite thinking about that. I mostly address the ball slightly towards the toe end of the club now, but I can still hit a shank doing that sometimes. The ironic/frustrating thing is that my ball striking seems to have got better when I'm not hitting a shank, which means the spectrum of success to failure is vast - I'm either hitting pearlers up onto the green or shanking it into a tree. It's mad.

What are the most frequent causes of shanks? Have any of you overcome shanks, and if so what was it you did or do? Or any other people just struggling with the same issue so we can cry together? :cry:

My solution, aim more to the left ;)

In all seriousness, I've suffered with them on and off for a while and the only real cure was lessons. There are a lot of reasons behind them, for me it was because I was getting stuck on my back foot with a wide open clubface, swinging out to in, you can guess the rest.

What I've been working on is a backswing that feels like it moves straight inside and I'm massively shutting the clubface too (kind of ending up like Rahm and DJ with their wrist position), which gives me the most beautiful draw shape.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve cured my cases of the high street banks by the same methods as others.

9-3 swings with a 5 iron, feet together is the go to.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
My cause was a poor in to out to in swing on half shots, couldn't hit a full shot shank if I tried. The fix was to get the hands moving out and away from the body on the back swing and feel like I'm coming back down and cutting across the ball and through to a 3/4 finish with a good turn. That was getting on 3 years ago, my short game came on in leaps and bounds since, until this season where I'm fatting and thinning like a chump.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have to concur to the OP that a lesson would be the quickest and easiest fix to the ongoing issue. With so many root causes and the fact you can add more flaws by fixing the shank means a lesson is the obvious answer. Get a pro to give you the cause for your problem, help you sort it and then should they manifest again you have a treatment to hand to rectify the problem and nip it in the bud

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have to concur to the OP that a lesson would be the quickest and easiest fix to the ongoing issue. With so many root causes and the fact you can add more flaws by fixing the shank means a lesson is the obvious answer. Get a pro to give you the cause for your problem, help you sort it and then should they manifest again you have a treatment to hand to rectify the problem and nip it in the bud
It's certainly not quick or easy for someone who's never had lessons. If I go down this route I'm going to have to start researching what pros I could visit in my area and who's good and who's not so good. No idea how to do that, mind. Not just going to throw money at any old bloke.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It's certainly not quick or easy for someone who's never had lessons. If I go down this route I'm going to have to start researching what pros I could visit in my area and who's good and who's not so good. No idea how to do that, mind. Not just going to throw money at any old bloke.
I suspect you will poopoo this as not relevant to you, but here's my experience.

I avoided lessons purely because the guys i knew who had them the same time i started went backwards and almost had to start from scratch.

I worked hard on my game and went down from 24 to 12 within a few months, got rid of my slice, learnt to hit a nice draw and was down to single figure a couple of years later...

But all the caused serious flaws in my game, i had very very bad bouts of Shermans where i could hit only those most of the time. True i could still score very well now and a again but i could also rack up Cricket scores.

Eventually bit the bullet and had lessons and came out the other side a much better player, i still have work to do, but those lessons made me understand my swing and how to fix and what i was doing wrong.

One of the guys i played with who took lessons at the start was down to 5 a full 3 years before me, i wish i had done the same it would have avoided those years i had where i just struggled

If you really want to improve, then it really is the best option, other wise you will continue to have issues.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I suspect you will poopoo this as not relevant to you, but here's my experience.

I avoided lessons purely because the guys i knew who had them the same time i started went backwards and almost had to start from scratch.

I worked hard on my game and went down from 24 to 12 within a few months, got rid of my slice, learnt to hit a nice draw and was down to single figure a couple of years later...

But all the caused serious flaws in my game, i had very very bad bouts of Shermans where i could hit only those most of the time. True i could still score very well now and a again but i could also rack up Cricket scores.

Eventually bit the bullet and had lessons and came out the other side a much better player, i still have work to do, but those lessons made me understand my swing and how to fix and what i was doing wrong.

One of the guys i played with who took lessons at the start was down to 5 a full 3 years before me, i wish i had done the same it would have avoided those years i had where i just struggled

If you really want to improve, then it really is the best option, other wise you will continue to have issues.
That's all fine, it doesn't address what I said though. My issue is how do you pick out a good pro or one that's right for you? I can't afford to trial and error it, and there seems to be no resource where pros are reviewed, so I'd just be taking a stab at it based on proximity really. :LOL:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

Scary - could have written almost exactly the same with similar timeframes and numbers (although it was only 6, and a few instances of back surgery and associated issues prevented me taking it further at the time).

What we build into our swings (real or imaginary) as we develop our perception of what we should, and are, doing seems to take about 10 times as long to unravel and rebuild correctly - and probably more money!

Any professional will set up a player with the fundamentals of grip, stance etc - after that it's much more about how you interact with them over tweaks or rebuilds; and whether you keep up your end (If you think everybody sticks to even part of the agreed follow up practice and drills speak to a physiotherapist - they will tell you how small the percentage of clients who do their exercises properly beyond day 2 is!)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's all fine, it doesn't address what I said though. My issue is how do you pick out a good pro or one that's right for you? I can't afford to trial and error it, and there seems to be no resource where pros are reviewed, so I'd just be taking a stab at it based on proximity really. :LOL:
Easy - the really expensive ones are the proven best.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you drive how did you choose you instructor. If you don’t drive as somebody who does how did they chose their instructor and if you are told ‘by recommendation’ then I would choose that model, as there is no checkatrade for driving instructors You belong to a club, ask around

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have always found word of mouth from playing partners and those I know have had lessons and have clearly improved as the best starting point. The only caveat to that is finding one that gets the changes and fixes over in a way you understand, can respond to and can take away and work on. That bit though is a personal one-to-one sort of thing although a decent pro should be able to adapt their approach to get the most from you and for you

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

sometimes trial and error is what it takes, whats good for someone else might not be good for you. The guy i saw to start with was bad for me, he taught all the elite players up here and was one of the top Coaches for the SGU.

I'm and old bugger with flexibility issues, the elite guy taught me like he would some 15 year old with a full flexibility and movement, i couldn't do what he insisted in teaching me pure and simple. then saw a pro at the local driving range, that cost half what i was being charged by the SGU guy, . he has been so much better for me and has shown and interest in my game, and we even play together from time to time, i can pop in at any time and he will on the whole sort out any issues i have pretty quickly.

Some things are not alway cut and dried, a golf swing isn't like getting a Plumber or Electrician to fix your house.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
sometimes trial and error is what it takes, whats good for someone else might not be good for you. The guy i saw to start with was bad for me, he taught all the elite players up here and was one of the top Coaches for the SGU.

I'm and old bugger with flexibility issues, the elite guy taught me like he would some 15 year old with a full flexibility and movement, i couldn't do what he insisted in teaching me pure and simple. then saw a pro at the local driving range, that cost half what i was being charged by the SGU guy, . he has been so much better for me and has shown and interest in my game, and we even play together from time to time, i can pop in at any time and he will on the whole sort out any issues i have pretty quickly.

Some things are not alway cut and dried, a golf swing isn't like getting a Plumber or Electrician to fix your house.
Well that's what I'm afraid of. As I mentioned I can't afford to throw £50 on one lesson to find the guy is no good, £40 at a different guy who's no good either, etc.

In my usual four ball only one of the guys has had lessons and he still plays off 30, hasn't really seen what I would call dramatic improvement and I didn't like the sound of the guy he used from what he described. I suppose the other issue for me is not being able to drive so I'd have to pick a location I can get myself to anyway. Probably narrows the options a tad.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well that's what I'm afraid of. As I mentioned I can't afford to throw £50 on one lesson to find the guy is no good, £40 at a different guy who's no good either, etc.

In my usual four ball only one of the guys has had lessons and he still plays off 30, hasn't really seen what I would call dramatic improvement and I didn't like the sound of the guy he used from what he described. I suppose the other issue for me is not being able to drive so I'd have to pick a location I can get myself to anyway. Probably narrows the options a tad.

A lot of pros will offer a taster lesson for a small amount or maybe a group class? Local range near me does first one for £25 and does classes at a fraction of the lesson

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
A lot of pros will offer a taster lesson for a small amount or maybe a group class? Local range near me does first one for £25 and does classes at a fraction of the lesson
I've just been having a look, the guy at Bushey Hall which is near me, does a £25 half hour lesson, £45 for an hour, or £60 for on-course lesson over 9 holes. I'm planning to go for a little practise round tonight and if I can't figure it out I think I'm finally going to go for it and book to see this guy.