Toe up, does it matter?

D

Deleted member 1147

When you swing you create a bend in the shaft, not only where the clubhead stays behind the handle on the downswing but also where the shaft bends downwards. As such the toe will no longer be up, but will (if fit properly) be level to the turf at impact.
I’m sure there is a technical name for it but I can’t remember it!

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks for posting LT, the same thought has popped up in my head.
Got a bit fixated with the lie and not having the toe too much off the ground. Probably had it too flat and felt too upright.
In truth when I got fitted many moons ago I think my posture was more upright than what it is now, after going through a swing change. However the replies to this post have helped ease my mind.
I plan to get new irons later this year so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Don't use a strike board....its not sometimes called a "lie-board" for nothing.

Hit off grass which allows the clubhead to deflect properly and look and see if the line of dirt that appears on the face is parallel to the grooves on the club face. Either that or draw a line on your ball with a sharpie, orientate it so the line is vertical and then play the shot, the sharpie ink on the ball will transfer to the club face and if the dynamic lie angle is correct it will result in a line on your clubface that is perpendicular to the grooves.

This is the best method, I think.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I asked the fitter at Ping when I was being fitted there. It's usual for the toe to be a little off of the ground.

Although their colour coded chart gives a guide, its best to hit the ball with the tape off of the strike strip. From my measurements, they suggested that I needed Red (ie 1 degree flat), but on having struck a few balls we went to black (neutral) and then on to to blue (1 degree upright) to get the best for me.
I am sure Ping have now defaulted to blue dot as their standard. What you say about red dot is interesting as I have my eyes on a second hand set of clubs off Golfbidder in red do and currently play blue.