Toe up, does it matter?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I bought a second hand set of Ping G25 irons over Christmas. They are yellow dot, 1.5 degree upright apparently. I'm hitting them nicely, very nicely as it happens, but I noticed yesterday that when I address the ball the toe of the irons is off the ground. The club does not sit flat behind the ball.

Is this a problem and if so, how? At the moment the ball is going straight but I could be in the honeymoon period still.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I can’t answer your question,because I don’t know.

But if it works,it works.
Get them looked at when the wheels fall off.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
But if it works,it works.
Get them looked at when the wheels fall off.
I am thinking that way but being on this forum makes you a bit nerdy about clubs so I thought I'd ask the question. The easy answer is go to see a pro but we don't have one and that means paying to see one somewhere else when it may not matter, hence the question.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
borrow a strike board and see what it shows where you are hitting your low point ,to be honest 1.5 degrees isnt exactly a lot is it?
and if they are working ,then whats the problem. just enjoy playing with them.(y)

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Have you checked the Ping colour chart?
I was fitted to yellow 1/4 inch longer, and that matched the chart on the nose. If the chart says yellow for you then you can’t be far off anyway.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
The toe of the club should be off the ground at address so your clubs are spot on for you

That is not quite correct, it's how far off the ground is it, i'm 2 degrees flat because my toe is way too high at standard address, at 1.5 it would 3.5 degrees to high.

Visit site
I’ve just adjusted a set of 2nd hand MP18s that were virtually all between 60-61.5°. He knew his lie angles and were bent to his spec. Best bet is to get them checked with a club fitter with a loft Lie machine.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have you checked the Ping colour chart?
I was fitted to yellow 1/4 inch longer, and that matched the chart on the nose. If the chart says yellow for you then you can’t be far off anyway.
The chart has me at black or one colour further away, not the tallest 😁, but the bands seem fairly flexible.

The comments sound positive but a strike board could confirm it. Thanks

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Be sure to use the correct Ping colour chart for when the clubs were new. Can't remember when it was, but Ping changed their colour codes for a second time a little while ago.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
The chart has me at black or one colour further away, not the tallest 😁, but the bands seem fairly flexible.

The comments sound positive but a strike board could confirm it. Thanks

You don't have to be tall to need longer shafts. If someone has short arms they might need longer shafts. If the scores are good, don't worry.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The old static test for correct lie was to take your stance and get someone with 2p coin to slide it under the toe should get close to but not as far as the middle of head.

The modern way is to either use a lie board or put some tape on the bottom of the club then hit balls off a reasonably flat surface.

With the current wet/soft ground conditions it could mask a potential problem for when the ground gets hard.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I asked the fitter at Ping when I was being fitted there. It's usual for the toe to be a little off of the ground.

Although their colour coded chart gives a guide, its best to hit the ball with the tape off of the strike strip. From my measurements, they suggested that I needed Red (ie 1 degree flat), but on having struck a few balls we went to black (neutral) and then on to to blue (1 degree upright) to get the best for me.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't use a strike board....its not sometimes called a "lie-board" for nothing.

Hit off grass which allows the clubhead to deflect properly and look and see if the line of dirt that appears on the face is parallel to the grooves on the club face. Either that or draw a line on your ball with a sharpie, orientate it so the line is vertical and then play the shot, the sharpie ink on the ball will transfer to the club face and if the dynamic lie angle is correct it will result in a line on your clubface that is perpendicular to the grooves.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
borrow a strike board and see what it shows where you are hitting your low point ,to be honest 1.5 degrees isnt exactly a lot is it?
and if they are working ,then whats the problem. just enjoy playing with them.(y)

I have to disagree! When I have my tm cb’s a had a habit my strike being slightly out of the heal. I spent half an hour on a strike board, 1* flat later and the difference in strike, ball flight and distance was huge!