Toe putts

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mark Roe said that Seve gave him a tip to address the ball on the toe of the putter when putting downhill as it created a softer strike.

Anyone heard of this or use this technique?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Yes & yes.

A ball hit off the toe will still go down the target line but won't travel as far. This allows you to maintain a firm stroke rather than trying to hit a soft tiddler down the slope... as with anything, give it a try/practice if you want to incorporate it into your game.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yep.. I use this all the time... The trick is to try and keep it square through the ball... I think it has to do with the toe moving slower that the rest of the club in the arc.... Could be wrong though......

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Yep.. I use this all the time... The trick is to try and keep it square through the ball... I think it has to do with the toe moving slower that the rest of the club in the arc.... Could be wrong though......

Some of the energy(power) is lost because the putter twists at impact.

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes and use it on downhill putts on quick greens

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I heard that. However having fitted http://procoregolf.com/ my putts run out better and further so I have to adjust my read and speed. Working well. Three single putt greens to start (10 feet, 8 feet and a sand save from 7 feet) and a birdie from 25 feet on a big slope so short stick works well with it fitted

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I heard that. However having fitted http://procoregolf.com/ my putts run out better and further so I have to adjust my read and speed. Working well. Three single putt greens to start (10 feet, 8 feet and a sand save from 7 feet) and a birdie from 25 feet on a big slope so short stick works well with it fitted

What are the main tangible differences Homer, before and after with the procore fitted?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

I think you are. If anything, the toe will be travelling faster -as it's further from the 'hub' around which it's rotating.

Pretty sure it's a combo of not being the sweet spot and the axial softening (wrong words but can't think of the right ones at the mo) of the distance away (outwards) from the sweet spot. Keeping it 'square' will eliminate the latter reason, though the will be a certain amount of 'wrist feel'.

As a SBST putter, I just try to middle it!

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What are the main tangible differences Homer, before and after with the procore fitted?

Basically off centre hits run out further as the pro-core dampens vibrations. I don't always get it out of the centre (put a 5p on the putter and see how often you actually find the middle) and it really helps especially on longer ones

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I always hit out of the toe of the putter when putting from the back of our 18th in the summer. I also use the heal of the putter as well, but that is not intentionally.:(