Titlelist Centre Fitting vs Top Rated Indy Fitters

evemccc

Visit site
Pretty much decided I want to upgrade to Vokey Wedges - and have a good idea of the bounce and grind but definitely will need a fitting to be sure.
Would you recommend going to Titleist at Camb. / Edinburgh themselves, or a top-rated independent fitter eg Scott Gourlay? Obvs only Vokey wedges will be available at Titleist but that’s what I’m after..
Has anyone got any feedback on Titleist in Cambs. or Edinburgh?
Cheers

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Titleist in Cambs is very good and also have an outside short game area. I would be very reluctant in buying wedges especially, by just using an indoor mat and simulator. When I purchased my current wedges we got numbers from technology and then to the par 3 course to test and then the practice bunker. Hope this helps

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Titleist in Cambs is very good and also have an outside short game area. I would be very reluctant in buying wedges especially, by just using an indoor mat and simulator. When I purchased my current wedges we got numbers from technology and then to the par 3 course to test and then the practice bunker. Hope this helps

Second this. What I wanted & thought I needed turned out to be completely different when we went down to the practice bunker... :oops:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think, if you're set on Vokeys, it makes sense to go to Titleist for the fitting.
Indys will have a range of others and the knowledge to fit you but, from what I've heard, a day at St Ives is a good day out.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If you have already decided on Titleist I would go and benefit from their knowledge. If you are still undecided I would go to an independent fitter and try a number of models. It depends what road you want to go down. I am not a massive fan of Vokey (one for unpopular opinions) so for me I'd probably look at an independent fitter (or probably go straight to Gainsborough and Ping)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I went to Titleist at Celtic Manor.
It was very good and once we sorted out the bounce and grind I hit shots off the turf tees to check divots.
If your going Vokey I would go to Titleist.

Fore Right!

Visit site
If you're only considering Vokeys then Titleist would probably be best unless its a long distance away. I've had good sessions at St Ives - fitters have been excellent , no pressure, friendly and clearly know their stuff. Hoping to be back there this year for irons and wedges

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Independent fitters will be able to do Titleist. It is mostly about gapping and grind, although custom shafts and grips are also available.

Agree that Titleist at St Ives is very good and that an outside grass surface and bunker are important.

evemccc

Visit site
The reason I’m choosing Vokey is that a borrowed a SM8 (56) from my PP and loved the shots I hit with it — I like the loft and need / want that loft to plug some gapping issues I have

Should I consider other brands? There’s enough to confuse myself with with lofts, grinds, bounce numbers with just Vokey, plus shafts and lie angles etc

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
The reason I’m choosing Vokey is that a borrowed a SM8 (56) from my PP and loved the shots I hit with it — I like the loft and need / want that loft to plug some gapping issues I have

Should I consider other brands? There’s enough to confuse myself with with lofts, grinds, bounce numbers with just Vokey, plus shafts and lie angles etc

If it ain't broke...

you've found a club you like & love the shots you hit with it; why confuse yourself any further?

evemccc

Visit site
If it ain't broke...

you've found a club you like & love the shots you hit with it; why confuse yourself any further?

Exactly my thinking...

If I’m honest I find with any purchase, be it golf or cycling or whatever, there’s so much tech and options with many variables these days - and there is so much to learn that I only focus on one or two (or three at absolute most) brands and then focus on their product line

Not got time and get too bogged down and lost in going through all the options in the marketplace

Thanks for feedback. Confirmed my view that if I want to get tested for Vokeys then I’ll go to St Ives.

When the time comes to replace my driver (when I get the money...?) I’ll go to an independent fitter as I have no biases at the moment