Titleist pro v1x alternative

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Tried the Vice Pro Plus. Really liked them and even straight out of the car on a cold morning with a wonky swing the day after a lesson they worked well. Was hugely impressed by the performance around the greens and from 100 yards and in

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just resurrected an old thread as my question was related to it, of course when a thread is about golf balls an old thread will almost certainly be out of date...

One of the 'troubles' is that the Prov1x of 2016 is not the same ball as the Prov1x of 2017 so could lead to mis comparisons

With the latest versions of Prov1 they have switched around some of the attributes between the two balls. Without bothering to look it up eg the ball flighting characteristics have switched between the two models.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
One of the 'troubles' is that the Prov1x of 2016 is not the same ball as the Prov1x of 2017 so could lead to mis comparisons

With the latest versions of Prov1 they have switched around some of the attributes between the two balls. Without bothering to look it up eg the ball flighting characteristics have switched between the two models.

funny you should say that, i'm still using the 15/16 version, but have had the odd round with the new one and prefer the older version.

not the first time they have changed it though. i remember when i first started using a prov1 they used to state on the box it was only suitable to use the X if you have CHS of greater than 110Mph with the driver. might by a few boxes of the 16 version while they are still about

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
funny you should say that, i'm still using the 15/16 version, but have had the odd round with the new one and prefer the older version.

not the first time they have changed it though. i remember when i first started using a prov1 they used to state on the box it was only suitable to use the X if you have CHS of greater than 110Mph with the driver. might by a few boxes of the 16 version while they are still about

Interesting, I didn't know this either
I generally use 1's or x's I've found which tend to be either this year's or from 15 or 16

Will have to do some testing now to satisfy my curiosity (not that it'll make any difference to my scores)

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The Snell MTB is a great ball, and seems to be a lot more durable than the Vice Pro balls.

Feel slightly harder on the shorter shots, but seem to spin just as well.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The Snell MTB is a great ball, and seems to be a lot more durable than the Vice Pro balls.

Feel slightly harder on the shorter shots, but seem to spin just as well.

found one of those on Saturday and as i'd never heard of them, just checked it a bucket with crap balls i take to opens as practice balls am leave there. Will have a look for it and give it a try next time i play.

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
found one of those on Saturday and as i'd never heard of them, just checked it a bucket with crap balls i take to opens as practice balls am leave there. Will have a look for it and give it a try next time i play.

Yeah, Snell is the guy who had a big hand in designing the ProV1 and Taylormade TP balls.

Look here for a ball chart comparing spin rates off a wedge for all balls, and the Snell is the only 'mid-price' ball that comes close.

1 Dozen comes in at £29.99 a dozen, with £3.99 shipping, but if you can buy their 6 dozen deal, it's £26ish per dozen, with free delivery, as anything over £50 is free delivery.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yeah, Snell is the guy who had a big hand in designing the ProV1 and Taylormade TP balls.

Look here for a ball chart comparing spin rates off a wedge for all balls, and the Snell is the only 'mid-price' ball that comes close.

1 Dozen comes in at £29.99 a dozen, with £3.99 shipping, but if you can buy their 6 dozen deal, it's £26ish per dozen, with free delivery, as anything over £50 is free delivery.

i can get last years Prov1x for that or even less from a few shops up here, so wouldn't pay that much TBH. Mind you still got 3 boxes of new prov1x and a a boot box full of reg Provs

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

played this afternoon with the Snell ball against the Prov1 X

Distance with Driver easy prov1 10 yards at least. a couple i though i'd really crushed with the snell were shorter than the x

Irons felt fine but down slightly on normal distance
Wedge shots def, less spin than the X most wedge shots from the same lie and hit ran out a bit more where as the PV stopped next to the PM.

Putting, no comparison TBH, Snell felt very clicky and hard off the putter com to the X.

so in summery... no where near as good a ball IMO