Titleist golf ball geeks,

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Whilst ambling through the charity shops in the Cotswolds I came across a bucket of balls, fifty pence each.

Ave splashed out and bought two old Titleist balls. Any info on them age and type of ball greatly appreciated.
1, Titleist Pro V1 392.
All writing in black and it does not have any arrows pointing left and right of the Pro V1 392.
I did have a look at another pro V1 which did have ( Pro V1 392 and arrows ) ?later ball.
2,Tilteist Pro Traj SURLYN100.
(Ball no 8)

Any info greatly appreciated.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Don't think so. The professional just had professional 100 or 90 printed on it not surlyn which is the cover material. I don't remember any of their balls having that on them, unless it's a US variant probably sold by Costco.

fluffy

Hacker
Visit site
The Pro Traj was a ball for the US & UK markets however there were Costco revamps If I remember correctly. Before Solid Core balls, The compression range was stamped on the ball. I.e. 90/100 etc. Those were the days :) The Prov1 you have is one of the first.

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I remember the Pro Traj Surlyn from Junior days I think, so without googling, I think that would be from the 80s. Think they specified Surlyn as opposed to the Balata balls that went egg shaped after one slight thin. :)

Tashyboy

Visit site
The Pro Traj was a ball for the US & UK markets however there were Costco revamps If I remember correctly. Before Solid Core balls, The compression range was stamped on the ball. I.e. 90/100 etc. Those were the days :) The Prov1 you have is one of the first.

Boom the Pro V1 is one of the first, anyone know where antiques roadshow is on Sunday. don't worry boys al still talk to you when I am rich.

That aside what is a Costco revamp, early day lake balls?

Tashyboy

Visit site
Now we are getting proper geeky.

Wilson staff sell a ball and when I tried it I was shown a " bounce test" the Wilson staff bounced higher than a n other ball which was supposed to simulate the ball bouncing off the club face better and going further.

Having bored you with that useless info. I have done a scientific ball experiment on my Italian travertine kitchen floor and the Pro Vi 392 bounces considerably higher than the Pro Traj SURLYN 100.

So what is the compression of the pro V1 then as to now. I don't wanna sound like your worst teacher at Skool and expect homework done by Monday. But and this is a big but.

Titleist don't sell the best selling ball ever based on a compression selling point of view. What was it then and what it it now?

furthermore were the earliest Pro V1s two or three core ?

gooner90

Visit site
I remember the days of being a kid and finding a titleist professional (tigers ball at the time) or a tour balata and being over the moon and being on the putting green comparing the feel up against an old school rock flite! (top flite). Those were the days haha and then the pro v1 came out and it was a whole new era.... now its getting seriously geeky!

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So what is the shelf life of a modern ball?

I get that the old wound balls would loose their compression but why would the new solid balls have any shelf life?

fluffy

Hacker
Visit site
Now we are getting proper geeky.

Wilson staff sell a ball and when I tried it I was shown a " bounce test" the Wilson staff bounced higher than a n other ball which was supposed to simulate the ball bouncing off the club face better and going further.

Having bored you with that useless info. I have done a scientific ball experiment on my Italian travertine kitchen floor and the Pro Vi 392 bounces considerably higher than the Pro Traj SURLYN 100.

So what is the compression of the pro V1 then as to now. I don't wanna sound like your worst teacher at Skool and expect homework done by Monday. But and this is a big but.

Titleist don't sell the best selling ball ever based on a compression selling point of view. What was it then and what it it now?

furthermore were the earliest Pro V1s two or three core ?

Wilson also used to make a ball called the "True" Series around the turn of the century. Goes all the way back to Ben Hogan in the bath with his golf balls and checking for any air pockets. These "True" balls were apparently perfect and the sales display had them in a tube full of water with competitors and a black circle on them all. Idea was that if you shook the tube, the competitor balls would return the black circle to the surface. The "True" ball wouldn't.

Not that it would make bugger all difference to most people!

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Personally I think Titleist should come out with a brand called "Provisional" because as soon as you say "Titleist 1 Provisional" the bloody thing always goes straight down the middle.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally I think Titleist should come out with a brand called "Provisional" because as soon as you say "Titleist 1 Provisional" the bloody thing always goes straight down the middle.

They did, only they had to reduce the stamping to reduce costs, which is why they only say "prov 1" :)

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The 392 is one of the first pro Vs.

One of the ones where they had a noticeable seam and if you lined that up down the fairway off a tee shot you would no joke get a good bit of extra distance out of them.