Titleist AVX in winter

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Played a few rounds in the summer with an AVX and quite liked it to be fair, I’m not really consistent enough to scientifically prove anything but AVX or pro V1 / x seemed to do the same thing for me, the x being a bit more clicky obviously.
Played with an AVX yesterday at around 2*C and driver distances were poor, like the ball was spinning too much - or maybe too little. Switched to a pro V1x and driver distances were noticeably longer.
Is there any reason why a lower compression ball like the AVX would suffer in winter? Any thoughts?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's nothing to do with the ball. Perhaps coincidence that you got better strikes with the pro v. Spin rates through their range are very similar with the driver

Mandofred

Visit site
If you hit it....it will go.....

It's a dam* golf ball. Hit it right...it goes where it should. Hit it like crap.....goes in the woods.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
AVX is low spin off the driver, I played it for a while. I found it was a beast off the 5 wood but the driver it just plummeted out the air.
The irons it was fine for me and putting was good as well. I liked it but I was really struggling with the driver. My technique was poor as well which exacerbated the issue. Eventually I dropped the ball for something with higher spin and worked on my technique.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have tried using a premium ball in the last few days but have found that despite hitting it well off the tee (for me) that distances were still significantly down. I put this down to a) wet fairways and so balls plugging or taking once bounce and stopping, b) cold air affecting distance anyway and all balls not flying as far

I hit a great drive with an AVX and then one with an AD333 down the 18th as we were having this conversation. Both comparable strikes but the harder ball was at least 6-7 yards. I have been using mid-range balls (Tour Speed, AD333 Tour and Tour Soft) or the AD333. With damp greens any ball is holding and stopping but there is definitely a drop off in the cold with premium balls for my game

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
AD333 and Qtour are very good in these conditions.. might get a little too much spin off the 8 iron and less though. I found they were fine in autumn and spring conditions, stable in the wind and good long flight off the driver. Summer hard pan was alright, but I would like a little more spin overall or someone to water the greens so they are not compacted concrete