Titleist AVX in winter

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I always thought the general consensus was save money, use a standard distance ball in winter because the premium ones won't go anywhere in the cold plus the spin is redundant when the greens are soft. :D I was using Titleist Velocity last year anyway so I've just carried on with them for now...

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, didn’t expect this so instead of quoting a lot of posts I’ll add a bit of general info.
I hit the AVX down the 2nd at Hindhead, downwind, clean dry ball with a clean dry driver. It was a normal ball flight and a good strike. When we got down to the fairway my ball was a good 50 yards behind my usual spot, not 10% less, significantly less at around 190 yards and it’s a downhill fairway! It just went nowhere. I noticed some similar observations on previous holes (played the back 9 first - the club does this in winter to give the valley holes time to drain more).
4th hole into the wind similar distance under the same circumstances, dry clean ball etc. 5th hole swapped to proV1x same conditions etc and hitting my normal 240. 240 up the 7th and 230 up the 9th. It was as if the AVX was a dud. Both AVX and V1x were new balls...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i'd have thought if it were conditions both balls would be effected... i can only think of one explanation.......

..... VooDoo:LOL:

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I always thought the general consensus was save money, use a standard distance ball in winter because the premium ones won't go anywhere in the cold plus the spin is redundant when the greens are soft. :D I was using Titleist Velocity last year anyway so I've just carried on with them for now...
i had always adopted that strategy, but now i play links golf there is part of me that wants to do the reverse.

i am now playing more expensive balls, normally chrome soft truvis, as the rough has died down. in summer it can be knee high so missing the fairway can easily mean a lost ball. Losses in winter have reduced significantly! On most shots, apart from chipping and putting, i struggle to differentiate between a premium and mid range ball like most mid handicappers anyway.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, didn’t expect this so instead of quoting a lot of posts I’ll add a bit of general info.
I hit the AVX down the 2nd at Hindhead, downwind, clean dry ball with a clean dry driver. It was a normal ball flight and a good strike. When we got down to the fairway my ball was a good 50 yards behind my usual spot, not 10% less, significantly less at around 190 yards and it’s a downhill fairway! It just went nowhere. I noticed some similar observations on previous holes (played the back 9 first - the club does this in winter to give the valley holes time to drain more).
4th hole into the wind similar distance under the same circumstances, dry clean ball etc. 5th hole swapped to proV1x same conditions etc and hitting my normal 240. 240 up the 7th and 230 up the 9th. It was as if the AVX was a dud. Both AVX and V1x were new balls...
I found it as dropping out the sky, I was getting 190-205 yards carry on the driver. The swing speed was around 94-100mph but I got on a track man and the spin rate was 1600rpm on my 10 degree driver. I lofted up to 12degrees teed up and hit on the up. And found another 600rpms of back spin but it wasn’t enough for my swing speed. I asked the fitter and he said try something else as it clearly wasn’t helping me. I did and I kept my optimised launch and I have dialled back my loft to 10 degrees ( more oblique face increases ball speed) . The 5 wood as I stated was a beast but it was delivering 18-20degrees of launch and 2900-3200 rpm of back spin and carrying 230+ yards ( so you can see why I was thinking this was good - just couldn’t transfer that to my driver) ... as all the other weather stuff was mentioned this was accounted for and completely extraordinary behaviour needs a bit of a deeper investigation and this was my findings and I have benefitted.. although the 5 wood now carries only 220-225 yards.