Titleist 690 mb's

jeardley

Head Pro
Visit site
Been offered a set at a great price. Just wondered what people think of a traditional blade.

Will they be much different than my AP2's (which i suppose are kind of a blade)?? Always fancied them just never got round to playing with a set.

Am i right in thinking that modern blades are not as difficult to hit sweet as the older hogan types?

Gonna try get up the range with them this week and see if i can push my luck and take them on the course this weekend.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I changed from AP2's to the CB's this year, and love them.
Perhaps a smidge less forgiving, but I like that, it makes me concentrate on the strike.

I love the look of the MB's, but perhaps they would be a bridge too far for me off 10, ...but........who knows......

Give them a try and see .

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Been offered a set at a great price. Just wondered what people think of a traditional blade.

Will they be much different than my AP2's (which i suppose are kind of a blade)?? Always fancied them just never got round to playing with a set.

Am i right in thinking that modern blades are not as difficult to hit sweet as the older hogan types?

Gonna try get up the range with them this week and see if i can push my luck and take them on the course this weekend.

Take every advantage that you can. I played with someone off +1 the other week and he had a set of cavity backed irons.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I love the look of the 690MB's. A proper golf club. Give em a go. Like you I use a semi blade (MP30) which aren't that forgiving and I sometimes practice with a bladed 7 iron which I hit fine. You're alresdy using the next thing to a blade and off 10 your swing should be good enough to find the middle.

Would be interesting to hear how you get on as blades vs cavities is a popular topic on here and some would say unless your off 6 or less you shouldn't go near a blade. I'm not so sure.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I had someone give me a set and ended up giving them back - what's the point? was my underlying thought.

There's decent cavity back clubs out there so no real need for blades any more.

Owen_Thomas_14

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What im about to say is completely unbiased ;). Theyre the best irons out there. Great feel, i hit them further than cavities as they produce a penetrating flight. As you can see this is a completely unbiased and i really dont know why ive got them in the bag :p

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have to say I agree with those that say why make it harder than it needs to be and use a cavity, albeit a small one. Off 10 and hopefully heading lower you clearly have great ball striking ability and so you'll no doubt hit them fine but what happens on those "off" days where the striking is less than solid.

I guess the only way you'll know for sure is to go out and hit them. Rather than use them on the range though why not play your home course with them and see what they are like for real

jeardley

Head Pro
Visit site
Cheers for the replies, as mentioned I think the only way to find out is give them a proper road test. Gonna try get out on the course with them this weekend... just wish the fairways were a bit firmer.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I use a set of traditional blades (Mizuno MP68) and love them. My first set of good clubs were a set of Mizuno Pro-Originals (circa 1986) and I have always liked traditional looking clubs, and always hated thick soled cavity backs and clunky short irons. The 68s are possibly a shade longer in the blade than the old 80s blades, but otherwise pretty traditional and unfussy. Lovely feel and sharp leading edge.

If you get fitted with the right shaft, I don't see why a decent player can't use a set of modern blades.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
There's decent cavity back clubs out there so no real need for blades any more.

With all the new super game improvement irons etc etc, how much has the average handicap come down over the last 15 - 20 years? 1 maybe 2 shots?

The arguement about blades versus cavity is all bollocks whatever you feel comfortable with, use them!

I changed from titleist 775cb to the MB this year and love them, when I changed I was around 14 and just after winning a big comp it did take me 2 months to really adjust to them but have since dropped to 11 with plenty (hopefully) to come off still.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
With all the new super game improvement irons etc etc, how much has the average handicap come down over the last 15 - 20 years? 1 maybe 2 shots?

The arguement about blades versus cavity is all bollocks whatever you feel comfortable with, use them!

How much longer is the average course over the last 15 - 20 years?... and is anyone practicing any harder... and what happens when a game explodes to the masses and a lot more novices are involved.... blah, blah...

I do (in essence) agree though, it's whatever floats your boat, I know I wouldn't buy a car that had tricky handling but there's lots that would.

I don't think that to play a sport well you necessarily have to make it harder on yourself... (see 'boat' and 'float' above).

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
[quoteI don't think that to play a sport well you necessarily have to make it harder on yourself... (see 'boat' and 'float' above).

[/QUOTE]

I fail to see how using something you like is making it harder on yourself?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Odd thing is, I have played a lot of golf with guys who play off low single digits. Very few of them play blades. I have played a lot of golf with guys playing off 10 to 12 too. A lot of these do play blades. Why do the truly gifted players not use them, but the average players do? No idea. I too have tried it, and decided it wasn't for me. My current set of irons are a bit of a cross over, which is ok, but I can't help looking at (for instance) the Mizzy JPX800 Pro, and thinking they would be a better bet for me. I'm not going to change, but if I was, I wouldn't have any bladed clubs in the bag any more. I love them, but realistically, they aren't doing my game any favours.

Good luck with them, but don't sell your old set.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Odd thing is, I have played a lot of golf with guys who play off low single digits. Very few of them play blades. I have played a lot of golf with guys playing off 10 to 12 too. A lot of these do play blades. Why do the truly gifted players not use them, but the average players do? No idea.

At my club most really low handicappers use blades, or semi blades, as far as I can see, usually in little pencil bags, but don't often see true blades in many bags at all TBH.

As for the "truly gifted" well you'd have to look at what the pros have in their bags to check that but I'm categorically NOT looking to start a "what do the pros really play with" thread. :D