Tips for using 5 and 4 Irons

Glenkov

Hacker
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to know if anyone had any tips for using 5 or 4 iron??

I am fine with everything else but these 2 are giving me a lot of trouble.

Cheers

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Try treating them more like a faiway wood and sweep the ball off the turf. Rather than hitting down on them like the short/mid irons. Experiment with a more forward ball position, start about 2" behind front heel, move back half an inch at a time until you find your ball position.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
You didnt say what problems your having , topping , hooking , ?? How is the contact with your 6 iron ? if it is good then the 5 shouldnt be too much of a problem.. i find its when i swing too hard or try to kill it i encounter problems .. As dave says try relax & just sweep them for a while & see how it goes .. take them out at say 7 iron distance & use it no pressure to mill it then , see how the contact is .. good luck

Glenkov

Hacker
Visit site
Sorry I completely forgot. I don't seem to be able to get a good connection with them. They either scuttle along the ground or fly off to the right.

I used to be pretty good with my 5 iron but since my driving and wood play has improved I don't really use it so it has gone to pot.

You didnt say what problems your having , topping , hooking , ?? How is the contact with your 6 iron ? if it is good then the 5 shouldnt be too much of a problem.. i find its when i swing too hard or try to kill it i encounter problems .. As dave says try relax & just sweep them for a while & see how it goes .. take them out at say 7 iron distance & use it no pressure to mill it then , see how the contact is .. good luck

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
along the ground will be topping the ball, maybe you are looking up too early changing your spine angle enough to catch the top of the ball.

Off to the right assuming right hander is the same reason you slice your woods etc

Work on the contact first before you change anything else

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have always found a 5 the easiest club to use, If I could only take one club out on a round it would be a 5 iron, turned around it makes an adequate putter too.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I thought hitting down with long irons is just as important as it is with short irons??? And I read that on here???

I know some of the pros take small divots with woods and mr Woods himself does it.

Im not saying anyones wrong ive just read conflicting methods???

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I love my long irons. My 3 iron atm is my goto club.
I deffo still hit down on them. Still get a 3-4 inch divot off the fairway. I don't treat them anywhere near the same as a hybrid either. If I did I'd lose alot of distance.
I play mine about 4" forward of centre and a little further away from me.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
S.....................................................l...............................................o...................................w

sona

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For what it is worth, I try to keep looking at the impact point for a couple of seconds after the ball has gone. Trust your playing partners to see where the ball goes instead of you looking/lifting up too quickly to see for yourself.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Practice with a 3-iron?

Hybrids could well be worth considering. A Major has been won by someone whose longest iron is a 6.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Go to the range with the 4I a 7I and a PW.

Just work on tempo. Hit a few 7I then a 4I or two. When you start cocking it up, go back to the PW to get the tempo right again.

Then do it over.