Time to move

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Camberley to Farnham.

Just think of all the traffic jams you could get caught up in. The extra fuel and the extra wear and tear and depreciation on the cars value.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On a personal note there is a course 5 minutes from where I live but I play at a course 20 minutes drive away because it is so much better. When you only drive around 6000 miles a year the extra mileage is not really a factor.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Camberley to Farnham.

Just think of all the traffic jams you could get caught up in. The extra fuel and the extra wear and tear and depreciation on the cars value.

yes, there’s the potential for it to take ages to get down there. I tried a mock run this morning for a typical Saturday morning tee time and it took me 19 minutes. A jam on the M3 or A331 and it could be disastrous.

Not fussed about car and fuel.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I guess if there's no joining fee, do a year see how it fits. sounds like your after an upgrade over cheap and convenient.

Joining fees at both.

Yes, it’s about upgrading to a course that’s looked after and one I can get around in winter without needing a boat

Mike07

Head Pro
Visit site
Just to add my view on this, I just left the best club in my ‘area’... 30-45min depending on traffic, 2 courses (one in the top 100), great practice facilities... but it’s all pointless if you don’t use it and I found the drive too long.

Now I’m back at my old club, 12-20min drive, no where near as good quality and no practice facilities, but I’m happy being back.

I also work from home, so the occasional 9 holes when the weather is good is perfect. If I was in your position I’d be joining CH no questions asked... no brainer for me.

Good luck with the choice and hope it goes well

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks Mike!

if I’m completely honest, the only thing putting me off CH is it’s expensive. I believe it’s value for money, don’t get me wrong - it’s a fabulous course but it’s a lot of wonga.

The flip lip side is just like you, with it being so close a cheeky 9 holes or just a few holes could be on the cards far more often.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
CH is the better course in my opinion and they have done a lot of work to the bunkers to improve the course. Not sure about being a member though, as it has a corporate feel to me. Duncan the secretary is on the forum as well as TXL.

I was a member at Farnham, and is a decent course, though it did get very wet with water coming off the farmers fields. Think it is more of a members club though, so may be a better social side ?

Probably not helped much.:mad:

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
CH is the better course in my opinion and they have done a lot of work to the bunkers to improve the course. Not sure about being a member though, as it has a corporate feel to me. Duncan the secretary is on the forum as well as TXL.

I was a member at Farnham, and is a decent course, though it did get very wet with water coming off the farmers fields. Think it is more of a members club though, so may be a better social side ?

Probably not helped much.:mad:

hi Richart,

i see see you’re at blackmoor, what was it that made you move from Farnham? I hear Blackmoor is a better course but it’s just outside of my convenient zone.

Farnham is ticking all the boxes at the moment but as some have said there’s something about it that is a little lacklustre. Don’t get me wrong, it’s in good shape considering the weather we’ve been having and they’re making good progress with their bunkers.

It would seem there’s still no clear answer.....

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I gave up the game for a good few years, and when I came back I wanted a decent course, within 15 minutes of where I lived, and that had a reputation as a good club, nothing corporate. Had played Blackmoor plenty of times before I joined and always loved the course. The facilities have been greatly improved since I joined ten years ago, and the course has the best drainage in the area, so winter golf is a pleasure, and we are very rarely closed/have temps.

We have members join from a wide area, a lot from Waterlooville, Portsmouth, Petersfield, where the courses there were very wet in the winter. A lot of members seem happy to travel longer distance for a decent course that is playable all year. Members always play off the whites and it is a decent test at 6200 yards par 69. I am lucky that there are quite a few decent courses in my area including, Hankley, Hindhead, Liphook, but Blackmoor in my opinion offers best value, has good facilities, and is a lovely Harry Colt heathland course.

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site
If it helps...

I'm local to CH and 9 miles from Farnham. CH is a cracking track albeit expensive, but pay for what you get and all that. I have friends there and it's very difficult to get a tee time at weekends apparently.

Played Farnham a week after the snow and it was as dry as a bone. Great winter track. CH does get a bit wet.

OneEyeRon

Hacker
Visit site
I haven't played Farnham, but know that the drainage at CH is top notch and I can't remember if its even been closed over the past 1 year despite the weather!

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
If it helps...

I'm local to CH and 9 miles from Farnham. CH is a cracking track albeit expensive, but pay for what you get and all that. I have friends there and it's very difficult to get a tee time at weekends apparently.

Played Farnham a week after the snow and it was as dry as a bone. Great winter track. CH does get a bit wet.

Thanks Birdie, a bit worrying if it’s really that busy on the weekends 🤔

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Ahh ok

I hear nothing but good things about Blackmoor but like you I’m trying to get the best I can as close as possible 👍🏻

One point about Camberley, don't you have to book tee times there in advance and if so does that make a quick nine, especially during the day time a bit trickier? I'd definitely consider Blackmoor. Improved practice facilities and an excellent course and for me it's worth the extra drive. Again though not sure if you have to book a time.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
One point about Camberley, don't you have to book tee times there in advance and if so does that make a quick nine, especially during the day time a bit trickier? I'd definitely consider Blackmoor. Improved practice facilities and an excellent course and for me it's worth the extra drive. Again though not sure if you have to book a time.

Blackmoor is 26 miles away and a minimum of 40 minutes. “A quick 9” will be near on 4 hours, just not practical I fear.

Thanks also for the thoughts on CH regarding tee times. This is something I’m going to have to take up with them 👍🏻

D

Deleted member 15344

Have played both a few times

Camberly - I enjoy the course and it’s always in decent nick but have seen it a bit wet. There are some stunning holes but also some not so great holes , doesn’t have a great members feeling about it and the clubhouse just isn’t a fav

Farnham - been a couple of years but was is good nick , clubhouse was ok , not many “standout holes “ but it’s a good course. It has a more friendlier feel about it

Shame Blackmoor is out of range because that’s a good way the best of the three

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Have played both a few times

Camberly - I enjoy the course and it’s always in decent nick but have seen it a bit wet. There are some stunning holes but also some not so great holes , doesn’t have a great members feeling about it and the clubhouse just isn’t a fav

Farnham - been a couple of years but was is good nick , clubhouse was ok , not many “standout holes “ but it’s a good course. It has a more friendlier feel about it

Shame Blackmoor is out of range because that’s a good way the best of the three

Thanks Phil, appreciate the comments