Time to admit defeat...

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve been playing with a set of Nike vapor pro combo irons for the last four years got fitted to them they’re beautiful irons but you need to be on top of you game to get the max out of them.so I’m thinking playing of a 12 handicap maybe going for somthing a bit more forgiving will help me with consistency and help me more .Any one else gone back to a more forgiving iron over a players club and seen good results I’m thinking about the Taylormade m3s or titleist ap3s but the cobra one length sound real interesting cheers in advance

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thinking about it. Lost quite a bit of distance when I moved to my Wilson Staff C200s (not exactly blades I know) so tempted to get my Adams Blue irons back out for a go.

D

Deleted member 18121

I did the same thing from exactly the same set of clubs....I got my Nikes when I started playing better (down to 16) and thought I needed a better player iron. I found the Nikes amazing when I was on it but a pain when I wasn't.....so I'm now using Cobra One length F7s (ie a game improver iron) and I'm now down to 13.4.

Golf is hard, why make it harder.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I did the change back from Mizuno's, after a couple more changes I now use AP1's. If you have to be on top of your game to use a set of clubs I guess it stands to reason that easier to hit clubs will score better, more consistently.

I tried the Cobra One length clubs and hit them ok but realised, as a bit of a club changer, that the move back to standard clubs may prove much more difficult than the move to them.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Golf is hard, why make it harder.
This, really. We've had a lot of topics like this one in the last couple of months. Never sure why people jump at the chance to get 'better player' irons when they haven't reached single figures and immediately find the game much harder all of a sudden. Find a nice set of irons that you like and if it's going well, why change?

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah went from Ping S56's to Mizuno JPX 900 Forged.

Absolutely loved playing the Pings, had them in the bag for about 2-3 years. My swing started to deteriorate and I just wasn't middling them well enough to play them. You really noticed a massive drop off in distance on the longer clubs if you didn't middle it.

End of the day I'm playing the right club for where my game is at now. Still have the pings in the cupboard just in case my swing sorts itself out.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
Well my driving ,wedge play and putting are a lot better than they have ever been after spending a fair bit of time practicing these parts of my game as felt they were a weakness for me and as a result playing to my handicap again and had a couple of rounds under it too,This has been with playing hit or miss iron shots as I feel I got to really be on top of it to get the irons going so I’ve admitted defeat I need a more forgiving iron to help me rather than hinder me and maybe with that bit more consistency in this part of my game I can break into single figures .This becomes more obvious when playing with a good number of cat one golfers who all play a forgiving iron which says it all really a lot more room for error .

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
At your level you probably don’t need forgiveness in the 8 iron and below so a hybrid set might be the best of both worlds.

Some hybrids at the top end, forgiving clubs in the middle and mid cavities in the short irons then blade wedges.

Most sets are almost there by accident, maybe this is a chance to do it in a planned way.

When I get fitted for a set I will state this up front that I cam comfortable having a mix as long as the distance gapping is even.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
At your level you probably don’t need forgiveness in the 8 iron and below so a hybrid set might be the best of both worlds.

Some hybrids at the top end, forgiving clubs in the middle and mid cavities in the short irons then blade wedges.

Most sets are almost there by accident, maybe this is a chance to do it in a planned way.

When I get fitted for a set I will state this up front that I cam comfortable having a mix as long as the distance gapping is even.
When you say a hybrid set what do you mean?hybrids in the long irons ?sounds interesting

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I presume he means players clubs for feel 8 - PW and GI for 7 down.

The srixon Z565/Z765/Z965 allow for this. I’m sure others do to.

For about a decade now you will find these elements built into the standard sets from the major manufacturers. You don't generally need to mix and match (although Mizzy are probably one that people choose to do so the most).

Of course it becomes less obvious when there are only 5 irons in the set!

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ap3’s are great!
Lofts are quite strong and they don’t look chunky at address. Lots of forgiveness as well...
I have tmb 4&5 iron and 6 to 48 deg wedge in the AP3’s...