Time keeping rant

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Turning up late all the time, shows a lack of respect, imo. My old man`s favourite saying on timekeeping was, "I`d rather be an hour early than a minute late". I`m trying to instil this into my kids and I think it`s working.:thup:

Spot on. I had a senior engineer who was regularly late. I asked him one day if he'd be late if the meeting was with the MD. "No, of course not." He was never late after that - might have had something to do with the conversation that had followed.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play in a regular 3 ball at my club two of us are always early one of us is nearly always late. It used to wind me up no end i can't remember the number of times I've told him but it made no difference. Now I just accept it as it's just part of him and he's a good friend anyway.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I play in a regular 3 ball at my club two of us are always early one of us is nearly always late. It used to wind me up no end i can't remember the number of times I've told him but it made no difference. Now I just accept it as it's just part of him and he's a good friend anyway.

A guy I've known for years was always late for everything. We were also members of the same golf club when I first started playing and he'd always turn up 15 - 20 minutes late every Sunday, we even started to lie about our start time to get him there early - that made no difference so, in the end we just used to tee off at the time we had agreed and after a couple of times he was left on his own he found others to play with!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
The fact he was late would not be a problem, the fact he never let you know, for me would be a massive problem. You could of told him straight away you would then be going in your car.

another thing that would nark me, is he gives his pet medication one day and is late. But the following day it's ok for him to be late home to give the pet medication.

Last edited:

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I work on the railway so we're notoriously late. I always turn up a minute before or on start time, then it's brew time.

But it never late for golf.

as for the OP. Should of gone in your own car.

I did. My mistake was not going with the other guys at 7am. It was a bit silly that a four man team had to make a three hour journey in three cars.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In this situation, wanting to practice beforehand, etc. I'd have driven myself to begin with.
GBH, you said you thought it would be nice for him to have some company?
I think it was very kind of you to make that sacrifice, as surely if the guy has a habit of turning up late, you expected that, so shouldn't really be surprised he acted to form.
How did you play, by the way?

Absolute nightmare. The was a little bit more to the story as I took a wrong turning on the way down, ended up in the centre of Monmouth and arrived at CM 30 minutes before tee time. The other guys had done the registration for me and ordered me a butty so I only had about 5 minutes on the putting green before going to the first tee (Montgomerie) where our first player was just teeing off. The starter then noticed I had shorts on and I was informed that shorts were not allowed in a championship competition. Apparently a large notice stating this was in the registration centre but as I hadn't been in there I didn't see it.

A marshall gave me a lift to the car to get my trousers so I got back to the tee just in time to tee off. Perfect start. My tee shot was surprisingly good but found the greenside bunker with my second shot and it was downhill from there. My only consolation was that one of my other PP's was playing equally as bad.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
My brother in law is terrible, so much so we now lie to him and tell him whatever we are doing, (dinner, golf etc) is at least 30 minutes before its actually scheduled to start. he is still often late...

I am very much in the "i'd rather be there and hour early than 1 minute late" camp!

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bit of a footnote here. When I finished the round there were a dozen or so players around the 18th green, generally discussing how poorly they had done but there was talk of one group who had.started to play a hole in the wrong order. Didn't take that much notice but have just found out that our captain was one of them. They called a rules official and it was a 2 shot penalty so I assume they had only teed off before one of the other groups told them.