tightning weights after each shot

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
in comps say you have a driver which you know would cause more damage if you tightened it properly. are you allowed to give a wee tighten before each driver shot?

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
in comps say you have a driver which you know would cause more damage if you tightened it properly. are you allowed to give a wee tighten before each driver shot?

Are you saying that it is already broken?

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
mmm not sure, i know that if i tighten it TMR9 to hear the click it will more than likely crack even more, ( it has a crack in it), yes its broken, but was wondering if i cud just give it a wee tighten before each shot

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
old tom morris had the same problem at the 1902 open. he just used a 1-iron to drive off for the rest of the third round. fair play to him. ;)

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm not sure about the legality of playing in a competition with a damaged club because it has been altered from it's original characteristics. If it is cracked, sounds like time for a new one rather than glueing it back together?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
There seem to be a couple of issues here - starting with the damaged club prior to play we have "A player may use a club damaged prior to a round, provided the club, in its damaged state, conforms with the Rules.
Damage to a club that occurred prior to a round may be repaired during the round, provided the playing characteristics are not changed and play is not unduly delayed."
Whilst there are obvious difficulties being definitive about whether this club has had it's playing characteristics altered by the damage such that it no longer conforms I suspect the simple answer is that it's fine.

As to tightening during the round, if it started tight and loosens during play then you are permitted to tighten - you are effectively repairing it and it's loosened during normal use/play so that's fine. If it hasn't loosened but you tighten it a little more, just in case, then this would be subject to the test of whether you are altering the playing characteristics; and I can't see how you would be so that should be fine too.

You can't take the weight out, (although if it falls out in normal play that's OK) you can't put a different weight in (but if the existing one fell out during normal play and was lost you could either leave out, as above, or replace with a new one the same weight....

Personally I would have glued it in by now, as much to support the overall integrity of the club as to keep the weight in there! It's a 5 second job.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
There seem to be a couple of issues here - starting with the damaged club prior to play we have "A player may use a club damaged prior to a round, provided the club, in its damaged state, conforms with the Rules.
Damage to a club that occurred prior to a round may be repaired during the round, provided the playing characteristics are not changed and play is not unduly delayed."
Whilst there are obvious difficulties being definitive about whether this club has had it's playing characteristics altered by the damage such that it no longer conforms I suspect the simple answer is that it's fine.

As to tightening during the round, if it started tight and loosens during play then you are permitted to tighten - you are effectively repairing it and it's loosened during normal use/play so that's fine. If it hasn't loosened but you tighten it a little more, just in case, then this would be subject to the test of whether you are altering the playing characteristics; and I can't see how you would be so that should be fine too.

You can't take the weight out, (although if it falls out in normal play that's OK) you can't put a different weight in (but if the existing one fell out during normal play and was lost you could either leave out, as above, or replace with a new one the same weight....

Personally I would have glued it in by now, as much to support the overall integrity of the club as to keep the weight in there! It's a 5 second job.

bought glue today will glue it soon

D

Deleted Member 1156

bought glue today will glue it soon

Is this the RBZ in your sig? If so, isn't it still under warranty? Used under normal conditions there is no way it should crack so soon. Unless you are smashing the ball 450 yards.....which people on golf forums can do.........

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is this the RBZ in your sig? If so, isn't it still under warranty? Used under normal conditions there is no way it should crack so soon. Unless you are smashing the ball 450 yards.....which people on golf forums can do.........

it was an r9 that i bought from someone on here, long story