Tiger injured again!?

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
One wonders if the rules would be so pliable if, say, Harris English or whoever were in the same boat as Tiger.....
Maybe, maybe not.

In my eyes if there is a cut-off time then there is a cut-off time.
If he makes it he makes it, if he doesn't then he doesn't.

I'd hope anyone in the same situation, battling to be fit in time and knowing it might go to the last minute, would be given the same chance.

However, and I can't believe I'm going to say this, but in a situation like this I think Tiger has possibly earned a little flexibility by his achievements in the game. Most people want to see him play - give him every chance I say!

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lets be a bit realistic here.
If Tiger does play he is not going to be fully fit.
He will mentally be fragile wandering if his back will go,and imo
will play accordingly.
However TV will love to have a half fit Tiger for 2 rounds than a reserve for 4.
I can see it now Tiger 6 over and going out of the tournament getting all the coverage
due to the TV companys being worried they might miss something.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
haven't seen a definite what happens if he pulls out at the last minute with regards to a reserve. Hopefully he'll make a decision early enough that a reserve can take his place, but can see him hitting a drive on the 10th (his 1st) then retiring!

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whilst I don't subscribe to many peoples view that TV coverage is dominated by Tiger when he plays these days and I seemingly give Tiger a lot more credit and leeway than most, I have to say I am a bit uncomfortable with this latest decision. In my view no one should be treated any differently than another.If Tiger has been allowed up to 10 minutes before his tee time to enter the comp or withdraw in consideration of TV viewing figures then the PGA are guilty of demeaning their own competition. It should be remembered that the competition came first and TV coverage came because people wanted to see the competition. The other way round is the tail wagging the dog. If the first alternate misses out then that just compounds the situation, though this happens a lot more than we realise.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
haven't seen a definite what happens if he pulls out at the last minute with regards to a reserve. Hopefully he'll make a decision early enough that a reserve can take his place, but can see him hitting a drive on the 10th (his 1st) then retiring!

I would be very surprised if he did that, and very disappointed in him if he did, and I'm a Tiger fan. He'll be hitting Driver on the range an hour before and will know if he can play so to do as you suggest would be a very big nail in his career and slap in the face to all the competitors, sponsors and reserves.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Whilst I don't subscribe to many peoples view that TV coverage is dominated by Tiger when he plays these days and I seemingly give Tiger a lot more credit and leeway than most, I have to say I am a bit uncomfortable with this latest decision. In my view no one should be treated any differently than another.If Tiger has been allowed up to 10 minutes before his tee time to enter the comp or withdraw in consideration of TV viewing figures then the PGA are guilty of demeaning their own competition. It should be remembered that the competition came first and TV coverage came because people wanted to see the competition. The other way round is the tail wagging the dog. If the first alternate misses out then that just compounds the situation, though this happens a lot more than we realise.

is that what was officially said?

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would be very surprised if he did that, and very disappointed in him if he did, and I'm a Tiger fan. He'll be hitting Driver on the range an hour before and will know if he can play so to do as you suggest would be a very big nail in his career and slap in the face to all the competitors, sponsors and reserves.

Agree 100% and would be disappointed if he did, but I can just see it happening, I've never been fortunate enough to see Tiger on the range but from what I'm told his hit on the range is nearer to a swing than it is on the course, so may feel ok until he gives it a lash on the course - alternatively maybe in guarding his back he'll reign it in!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

I don't see how that is the case! There'll be an Alternate waiting to fill any gaps!

As Monty has stated, it's a bigger, better tournament when Tiger is playing.

Though I'm almost certain he won't be playing - and would be seriously unwise to do so from the way he looked on Sunday!

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

I can totally accept that, but, and that's quite a big but, whilst on the range they don't practice heaving a ball out of knee length rough!

Slime.

D

Deleted member 15344

If Woods is being allowed to wait until ten mins before his tee time then I would hope that everyone would have the same chance

Don't believe anything should be changed to satisfy one golfer - no one should be given any extra special treatment regardless of what they have achieved.

Also if your not fit to play 3 hours before your tee then what would make you fit 3 hours later ?

Might as well let him use a buggy , give him preffered lies , how about mulligans etc - all to ensure they can show him on telly.

Thankfully I don't believe the R&A would change things to suit one person

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

He's playing a practice round this afternoon, my guess is he will call it after that

KJT123

Head Pro
Visit site
Tiger definitely isn't finished just yet.

Just look at last season, managed to get a few convincing wins in world class fields, even though he had a back injury.

Once his back is okay, and he's had more rounds of competitive golf, he will back to winning golf tournaments again.

colint

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If Woods is being allowed to wait until ten mins before his tee time then I would hope that everyone would have the same chance

Don't believe anything should be changed to satisfy one golfer - no one should be given any extra special treatment regardless of what they have achieved.

Also if your not fit to play 3 hours before your tee then what would make you fit 3 hours later ?

Might as well let him use a buggy , give him preffered lies , how about mulligans etc - all to ensure they can show him on telly.

Thankfully I don't believe the R&A would change things to suit one person

He hasn't received any special treatment. Any injured player can request the extension to registration, and any player can pull out before his tee time, nice rant though

D

Deleted member 15344

He hasn't received any special treatment. Any injured player can request the extension to registration, and any player can pull out before his tee time, nice rant though

Not really a rant is it

And how many players have ever been granted an extension until ten mins before his tee time - will give you time to search for an answer.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Not really a rant is it

And how many players have ever been granted an extension until ten mins before his tee time - will give you time to search for an answer.
certainly sounded like (another) one....:rolleyes:

And how many players have asked for an extension until ten minutes before his tee time - will give you time to search for an answer.

D

Deleted member 15344

Any injured player can request an extension, it's only special treatment if someone else has requested it and been refused. Happy googling

Why do I need to google ?

Have given my thoughts on it as have others

I hope for a Woods free PGA so we can concentrate on all the other great golfers in the game at the moment.