Tiger and Foley part ways

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
Butch has a few other players now, and may not be so keen to take Tiger back, with all the trappings that go with it. Still, if he does, he probably has a good chance to make some improvements and help him get his game back.

If he isn't available, though, I hear justone does all day sessions at the range for tea and a biscuit.

Only if they are chocolate biscuits!
I can't say I'm surprised as the swing he has now is doing more harm to his body than good.
Will be interesting to see who he does go to once he has given his back time to heal properly.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I think this split is daft. His swing on the practice ground is fine, nothing wrong with it. Then he stands on the first tee and tries to lash it. If I was foley I'd be shaking my head, thinking why do that? Good luck to the next coach, I can't see what they can do with Tiger's attitude.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Think John O'Keefe needs to call Tiger and tell him to get on Kindle and buy New Golf Thinking :whistle: To be honest until Woods is fully fit, and that may still be a way off, there isn't much a coach can do. Harmon seems pretty vocal on TV about everything wrong with Woods game so maybe he needs to put his money where his mouth is and get Woods playing as he seems to think he should. Not sure he will. Has Woods ever done any work with Jim Hardy and Plane Truth?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Think John O'Keefe needs to call Tiger and tell him to get on Kindle and buy New Golf Thinking :whistle: To be honest until Woods is fully fit, and that may still be a way off, there isn't much a coach can do. Harmon seems pretty vocal on TV about everything wrong with Woods game so maybe he needs to put his money where his mouth is and get Woods playing as he seems to think he should. Not sure he will. Has Woods ever done any work with Jim Hardy and Plane Truth?

Don't remember where, but I'm sure Jim Hardy has gone on record as saying that he'd love the chance to work with Tiger. It would be fascinating to see what he could do with him.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Butch has a few other players now, and may not be so keen to take Tiger back,

Butch has Mickelson who hasn't won this year, and only 2 wins last year (yes one was a major), and only 1 win the year before that. He also has Rickie Fowler who has never won..... going back to Butch would be a BIG mistake in my opinion,... not that I really care what he does.

I think that golf coaching (alongside Trackman) has really changed in the past 4yrs and, even though Woods will have learned an awful lot from Foley in the past 4yrs, there might be someone 'new' out there who has some insights to offer.

Last edited:

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Butch has Mickelson who hasn't won this year, and only 2 wins last year (yes one was a major), and only 1 win the year before that. He also has Rickie Fowler who has never won..... going back to Butch would be a BIG mistake in my opinion,... not that I really care what he does.

I think that golf coaching (alongside Trackman) has really changed in the past 4yrs and, even though Woods will have learned an awful lot from Foley in the past 4yrs, there might be someone 'new' out there who has some insights to offer.

Rickie Fowler has won :thup:

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk

But didn't Rickie Fowler who is under Butch also finish most consistently in all the Majors this season.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
I don't think Tiger is after Top5's.

I dont think Rickie Fowler does either, but someone happened to play the course better over the four days, where as Tiger has just not been playing well overall. Given that he has only played in 23 comps in the last 2 seasons he won 5. So he still has it just needs consistency which is what Butch has given to Rickie. And Jimmy Walker has had a terrible season under Butch.

There is also the 3 wins for Foley pupils this season 2 for Justin Rose and the most recent winner on the PGA

In the end, I think that like others have said Tiger needs to get golf fit, obviously he is very fit but not fit for the game at the level he want to be. When he gets back his flexibility and stamina and resilience to the range of motion the game takes him through day in day out he will be back on form. He still has the skills, just not the fitness

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I'm pretty sure Tiger would take one major win per year for the next 5yrs over anything else, he doesn't need to be consistent.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Would you not say one major per season is consistent? There aren't many player who could say they could do that. That would still need him to perform consistently in majors

Missed cut - 78th - Missed cut - Win
...wouldn't be consistent in my book. I s'pose you could see one win per year as being consistent. Right now he is also consistent as he's not winning anything :D

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Does make me laugh that some of you, even after this news, still think it is injuries that are currently hampering him.

His swing is a mess (for him) and he has used injuries to his advantage.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think he needs to get back to his old ways and what he knows best................. Banging broads. :rofl: