Through the Green

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Need a bit of clarity please . Ive always understood through the green to b anywhere cut to fairway height .

Played a new course the other day and the wording on a local rule re plugged ball was "through the green anywhere on the course " to me it still meant anywhere on d course cut to fairway height .

But one guy was adamant anywhere on course meant anywhere on course .

Think its rule 25 -2 something

Can someone please tell me in plain english what is ruling re plugged ball in the rough in relation to term through the green .. qualifying comp

Thank u

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
The definition of Through the Green from the RoG

"Through the green is the whole area of the course except
a. the teeing ground and the putting green of the hole being played; and
b. all hazards on the course."

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The definition of Through the Green from the RoG

"Through the green is the whole area of the course except
a. the teeing ground and the putting green of the hole being played; and
b. all hazards on the course."

Pages 142 & 143 in the pocket version of the Rules describes the applicable Local Rules.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks guys ive bn mixing up rule i fear . It cane about re embedded ball
Embedded ball is relief in closely mown area through the green so closely mown area anywhere on course

Can a local rule over rule this rule and allow anywher on course for a qualifying comp

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Embedded ball is relief in closely mown area through the green so closely mown area anywhere on course

Can a local rule over rule this rule and allow anywher on course for a qualifying comp
Yes.

From the CONGU Regulations

Q. May a club run a Qualifying Competition when a Local Rule granting relief for an embedded ball anywhere ‘through the green’ is in operation?
A. Yes, as such a Local Rule is allowed by Rules of Golf ‘Appendix 1 Part B 4a. Relief for Embedded Ball’ in which a specimen Local Rule is provided.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It is an allowable local rule to have embedded ball relief through the green. We have it in all year round on our 9 hole riverside course..

It will come in as a R&A rule when the rules change in 2019

The appropriate wording for the local rule can be found in Appendix I -3.

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
Through the green is the whole area of the course except:
- A teeing ground and putting green of the hole being played
- all hazards on the course

Closely mowed area means any area of the course, including paths through the rough, cut to fairway height or less.

Committee may adopt a local rule to allow relief without penalty for an embedded ball "anywhere" through the green. (so that means anywhere on the course excepts hazards)

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Late to this thread but could someone give me the ruling for dropping a embedded ball in the rough ? We have a local rule allowing this, I thought you had to drop nearest to where the ball plugged and friend thought it was 2 club lengths

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Late to this thread but could someone give me the ruling for dropping a embedded ball in the rough ? We have a local rule allowing this, I thought you had to drop nearest to where the ball plugged and friend thought it was 2 club lengths

As near as possible.

Working rule for professionals (who practice dropping) would be within a hand span; but they will be looking to ensure it rolls nearer the hole anyway.....

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
"...a ball that is embedded may be lifted, cleaned and dropped, without penalty, as near as possible to the spot where it lay but not nearer the hole. The ball when dropped must first strike a part of the course through he green."

If the ball re-embeds
place the ball as near as possible to the spot where it embedded when re-dropped, but not nearer the hole.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
"...a ball that is embedded may be lifted, cleaned and dropped, without penalty, as near as possible to the spot where it lay but not nearer the hole. The ball when dropped must first strike a part of the course through he green."

If the ball re-embeds
place the ball as near as possible to the spot where it embedded when re-dropped, but not nearer the hole.

Thankyou for the ruleing

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site

If the ball re-embeds
Just to clarify, if the ball embeds on the first drop, it must be re-dropped; if it embeds again when re-dropped, placing is the next step. (Decision 25-2/2.5)