Three rules questions...

tallpaul

Head Pro
Visit site
In a stroke play competition, are any of the following a breach of the rules?

- Playing the back 9 first.

- Commenting that, if in an opponents position, you would take a drop for an unplayable lie.

- After hitting a ball in to a hazard, taking the drop at the point the offending shot was hit from rather than in-line between where the ball entered the hazard and the flag.

Cheers,

Paul

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
1. No, well I dont think so unless it is a condition set out by the committee that you need to play 1-18
2. Yes as far as I am aware you are giving advice.
3. No.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
not sure about question 2. afaik you are allowed to state facts.

Going by the OP's wording it isn't stating facts though. That's like saying on a tee box I should have hit a 4 iron instead.

I agree , its not a fact , its advice & guidance , if he asked you can i take a UL from here ? & you said yes , that would be fine, but to advise its what you would do , IMO would be breaking the rules

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
you must start at the 1st in competition unless otherwise informed. if you could pick and choose then you might as well start at hole 4 and leave the hard holes till the end. lol

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
1. yes, unless the committee have specifically authorised it. Breach of 3-1, penalty of DQ under 33-7.
2. yes, an opinion on a course of action is advice. Breach of 8-1a 2 shot penalty in stroke play, LOH match play. Confirmed in decision 8-1/16.
3. no, this is a valid option under 26-1 (it's 26-1a) for both WH and LWH

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
1. yes, unless the committee have specifically authorised it. Breach of 3-1, penalty of DQ under 33-7.
2. yes, an opinion on a course of action is advice. Breach of 8-1a 2 shot penalty in stroke play, LOH match play. Confirmed in decision 8-1/16.
3. no, this is a valid option under 26-1 (it's 26-1a) for both WH and LWH

oul buzzkillington ^ lol.

i was just trying to fan the flames saying it was a FACT!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I wonder just how far you would go with this... you're looking at your ball and your opponents comes over, sucking his teeth he says "I'd take a drop from there" do you pick up and say "Sorry Bud, you just lost the hole?"

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Telling people to take their time over putts is advice and rarely will anyone be penalised as many players do not realise this.

would depend on context here -

a fellow competitor putts up to a couple of feet from the hole and says 'I'll just finish'. If you say 'take your time' meaning 'that looks tricky to me' then yes.

if you say the same thing as a polite way of saying, 'ok - don't hurry on my behalf' then it's not advice.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

a fellow competitor putts up to a couple of feet from the hole and says 'I'll just finish'. If you say 'take your time' meaning 'that looks tricky to me' then yes.

if you say the same thing as a polite way of saying, 'ok - don't hurry on my behalf' then it's not advice.

Yip, appreciate what your getting at but I think it would be fair to say people tend to say take your time as they want to make sure the ball gets holed and not missed.

As I mentioned earlier, it's rarely something that gets penalised as people dont tend to think they are offering advice.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

that one kind of meets in the middle. you usually mean it both ways when you say it.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wonder just how far you would go with this... you're looking at your ball and your opponents comes over, sucking his teeth he says "I'd take a drop from there" do you pick up and say "Sorry Bud, you just lost the hole?"

you can, and he would have lost the hole if the issue was disputed and came to committee.

on the other hand you may not find many people to play with.

the rules permit you to ignore his breach and play on

you can draw his breach to his attention and play on

you cannot draw it to his attention and agree that it will be alright for him to do it with you during this round ie again - you will both be DQ for a breach of 1-3 :whistle:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yip, appreciate what your getting at but I think it would be fair to say people tend to say take your time as they want to make sure the ball gets holed and not missed.

As I mentioned earlier, it's rarely something that gets penalised as people dont tend to think they are offering advice.

generally there is an obvious difference between generic, objective, comment and specific (to the situation) subjective (to the person) comment.

you swung a little quickly on that one - advice
if only we could all swing like that (in relation to a distant third party) - not advice
you are swinging very flat - advice
I had a lesson last week in which the pro was extolling the virtues of an upright swing - not advice
no need to hurry - not advice
take your time on that it looks a little tricky (to me) - advice

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
duncan did you swallow a rule book by any chance. your knowledge of the rules is out of this world! :whoo:

I enjoy the rules Garry, when I realised I wasn't going to be able to achieve much playing the game I started studying the rules instead, with a view to helping others avoid stress and problems with their understanding.