Three rules questions...

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
the whole "take your time putt" only comes up in amature golf. the pros will often mark their ball, walk away clean it again even if its only 8 inches from the hole. us amatures fall over ourselves after missing a short putt to try and knock it in, half out of frustration and half to get the hell out of the way quickly to let our playing partners putt.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I wonder just how far you would go with this... you're looking at your ball and your opponents comes over, sucking his teeth he says "I'd take a drop from there" do you pick up and say "Sorry Bud, you just lost the hole?"

you can, and he would have lost the hole if the issue was disputed and came to committee.

on the other hand you may not find many people to play with.

the rules permit you to ignore his breach and play on

you can draw his breach to his attention and play on

you cannot draw it to his attention and agree that it will be alright for him to do it with you during this round ie again - you will both be DQ for a breach of 1-3 :whistle:

When he says "I'd take a drop....." is that advice as to what YOU should do or is he allowed to comment on what HE would do? ...or is it one and the same?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I enjoy the rules Garry, when I realised I wasn't going to be able to achieve much playing the game I started studying the rules instead, with a view to helping others avoid stress and problems with their understanding.

good lad. my mates dad usually has the job of rule decider when we are in competition. we trust him to keep us in line with the gazillion billion rules. ;)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you have any doubts of what you can and cant say. Imagine you have a referee with you.
He would say something like "you could take a drop here"
Thats just telling the player what one of his options are.
But
Would a Referee say "I'd take a drop from there"?
No

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Or you could just check in the rule book I'm sure you keep in your bag

absolutely!

however, if that's too heavy for your carry bag, and in fairness most people have problems finding the right rule in the book on the course as well, you should ask your club to get in a load of the 'Quick guide to the rules' leaflets that have now been updated to take into account the recent changes.

they cover the majority of the situations that occur during a round ie the times you know you know a rule applies!

only cost postage, I got 1,000 last month and even the postage on those wasn't much.

tallpaul

Head Pro
Visit site
If you have any doubts of what you can and cant say. Imagine you have a referee with you.
He would say something like "you could take a drop here"
Thats just telling the player what one of his options are.
But
Would a Referee say "I'd take a drop from there"?
No

So, if my opponent asks 'what can I do here?' can I answer 'take a drop'?

Could I, without being asked, state that they are entitled to take a drop?

But I can't say 'in this situation, I would take a drop'?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
So, if my opponent asks 'what can I do here?' can I answer 'take a drop'? Yes, thats one of the options

Could I, without being asked, state that they are entitled to take a drop? You could do but better to wait until asked

But I can't say 'in this situation, I would take a drop'? I wouldn't

If in doubt, say nowt

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
So, if my opponent asks 'what can I do here?' can I answer 'take a drop'?

Could I, without being asked, state that they are entitled to take a drop?

But I can't say 'in this situation, I would take a drop'?

you have got it.....

1. factual response to a factual question - ok
2. factual information - ok
3. advice that could influence the players action now, or subsequently in the round - not ok

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
would depend on context here -

a fellow competitor putts up to a couple of feet from the hole and says 'I'll just finish'. If you say 'take your time' meaning 'that looks tricky to me' then yes.

if you say the same thing as a polite way of saying, 'ok - don't hurry on my behalf' then it's not advice.

Thank you Duncan, i have tried to put this point across twice before ..

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So how about saying "You get a shot on this hole".

It is a fact, but most people would take it as meaning it might be better to use the shot instead of trying a miracle shot.

Breach or not?

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
So how about saying "You get a shot on this hole".

It is a fact, but most people would take it as meaning it might be better to use the shot instead of trying a miracle shot.

Breach or not?
just ... You get a shot on this hole ..i id say no

BUT as you say
you get a shot on this hole..... ,followed by, use it wisely, or you should lay up , you should hit iron off the tee .. yes .. because you are or could be influincing the way that player plays the hole , can only be penalised if you say it, not on how people precieve it ..

Last edited:

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
would depend on context here -

a fellow competitor putts up to a couple of feet from the hole and says 'I'll just finish'. If you say 'take your time' meaning 'that looks tricky to me' then yes.

if you say the same thing as a polite way of saying, 'ok - don't hurry on my behalf' then it's not advice.

So what you are saying is that exactly the same words can be interpreted in 2 ways
Sorry, - if so, then R&A should publish a decision that is you say "Take your time" it is NOT a penalty because it could always mean the latter . This is not what Anthony said John Paramore told him, which is that "Take your time" is considered by R&A to be advice.