Three Minute Search

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry if this has been asked before. This week I drove off and put the ball in the thick rough on the left. I played a provisional and put it into the less punitive rough on the right. Not my finest hole ever! I went to look for my original ball and took the allowed three minutes without success. Fortunately, when I walked across to where I thought my provisional might be, I found it immediately and played it. However, had I not found it, would the rules have allowed me a further three minutes to look for it … or is one only allowed a total of three minutes?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry if this has been asked before. This week I drove off and put the ball in the thick rough on the left. I played a provisional and put it into the less punitive rough on the right. Not my finest hole ever! I went to look for my original ball and took the allowed three minutes without success. Fortunately, when I walked across to where I thought my provisional might be, I found it immediately and played it. However, had I not found it, would the rules have allowed me a further three minutes to look for it … or is one only allowed a total of three minutes?
Unless both balls are thought to be in close proximity you have 3 minutes for each.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Unless both balls are thought to be in close proximity you have 3 minutes for each.
Not being a pedant but how is close proximity defined please? Not saying if the balls are on opposite sides of the fairway but is around 5 metres estimate close? Added to that if I knew the exact distance I would find the ball! Somewhat subjective.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Somewhat subjective.

This is what the book says:

When a player has played two balls (such as the ball in play and a provisional ball) and is searching for both, whether the player is allowed two separate three-minute search times depends how close the balls are to each other.

If the balls are in the same area where they can be searched for at the same time, the player is allowed only three minutes to search for both balls. However, if the balls are in different areas (such as opposite sides of the fairway) the player is allowed a three-minute search time for each ball.

Last edited:

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This is what the book says:

When a player has played two balls (such as the ball in play and a provisional ball) and is searching for both, whether the player is allowed two separate three-minute search times depends how close the balls are to each other.

If the balls are in the same area where they can be searched for at the same time, the player is allowed only three minutes to search for both balls. However, if the balls are in different areas (such as opposite sides of the fairway) the player is allowed a three-minute search time for each ball.
You have only taken part of what I posted! However and repeating not being a pedant, Who decides whether the balls are in the same area? The Rules of Golf are usually quite specific but whilst not disagreeing in any way with RF it is somewhat ambiguous.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
You have only taken part of what I posted! However and repeating not being a pedant, Who decides whether the balls are in the same area? The Rules of Golf are usually quite specific but whilst not disagreeing in any way with RF it is somewhat ambiguous.

As in most golf rules it's the player who decides in the absence of a referee as far as I understand. There are procedures in place if playing partners disagree with the player.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
You have only taken part of what I posted!

The Rules of Golf are usually quite specific .......... but whilst not disagreeing in any way with RF it is somewhat ambiguous.
I was only expanding on my brief response by posting the official version. I wasn't making any observation re ambiguity.
But I can't see how it can be precise (say 'within 10 yards') if the player doesn't know the exact location of the targets. In practice, I know it when I see it; as I suspect will most.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

Not ambiguous, I'd say. It can only mean one thing: balls in same area, simultaneous timing; balls in different areas, separate timings.

As a practical guide, if while tramping around in your search you are just as likely to come across one ball as the other, they are in the same area. Conversely, if you have to move to an area to search for the other ball and know there's no hope of chancing on your first one, that's a different area.