Three Ball Matchplay

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Big match at our place yesterday. Three teams. One member of each team in each of 12 three balls. In each three ball each player was playing separate matches against the other two. How do you do that? It is obviously possible - different shots given between each pairing - but in actually playing your shots how can you decide what best to do. Because clearly what is the appropriate shot against one player may be the opposite of what you want to do against the other.

Maybe it would in fact be a really good way of testing your matchplay thinking - I don't know. Anyone been in such a matchplay situation?

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Could get interesting - so long as your head doesn't explode trying to figure it out.

We have a similar but different scenario in our winter better-ball stableford turnup comp. If the number turning up on a given day does not divide into 4, some folks have to play in threeballs and return a better-ball score with each of the other two in their group. They this get two chances of winning the prize on the day. Until you get your head round the scoring it is a bit confusing.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I've played 6-point scoring as a three-ball. An outright winner of hole and outright 2nd 4/2/0; Two 'winners' 3/3/0; All three score same 2/2/2; Outright winner and other two same 4/1/1. That works and is quite fun.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
when i was a member at Tain, we used to have the Dornoch Bridge match, which was an 8 ball match. can't remember how it was played though.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Could get interesting - so long as your head doesn't explode trying to figure it out.

We have a similar but different scenario in our winter better-ball stableford turnup comp. If the number turning up on a given day does not divide into 4, some folks have to play in threeballs and return a better-ball score with each of the other two in their group. They this get two chances of winning the prize on the day. Until you get your head round the scoring it is a bit confusing.

Ian , the day you kindly invited us through, we saw quite a few 6 ball games , you said they were all low H/C players.

What format were they playing ?

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ian , the day you kindly invited us through, we saw quite a few 6 ball games , you said they were all low H/C players.

What format were they playing ?

Hi,

That was the East Lothian foursomes Strokeplay tournament ( a scratch event) - so it was really a threeball! Never played it, but Foursomes Strokeplay seems like a terrifying format.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
I Played a match a few months ago in a three ball and thought the same beforehand about how difficulties might arise but I don't remember a single occasion where it was difficult. There were no cases were a gimmee was confusing either.

Hardest part was keeping on top of the scoring .and remembering who was winning and by how many between the matches.

Great fun too

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Big match at our place yesterday. Three teams. One member of each team in each of 12 three balls. In each three ball each player was playing separate matches against the other two. How do you do that? It is obviously possible - different shots given between each pairing - but in actually playing your shots how can you decide what best to do. Because clearly what is the appropriate shot against one player may be the opposite of what you want to do against the other.

Maybe it would in fact be a really good way of testing your matchplay thinking - I don't know. Anyone been in such a matchplay situation?

IMHO the only way to play this format is for each player to disregard the other two players and simply play the best golf they can. It isn't really practical to try to use the tactics or strategies that one might in straight singles matchplay.

Pippo_T

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've played 6-point scoring as a three-ball. An outright winner of hole and outright 2nd 4/2/0; Two 'winners' 3/3/0; All three score same 2/2/2; Outright winner and other two same 4/1/1. That works and is quite fun.

This. We play split sixes in three balls and it's great fun and probably the best three ball format for a bounce game imo.