Those foam filled irons.....

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've got the p790's and I've only noticed fliers from the rough - which happens with any irons.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Because they're hollow the designers can move the weighting around and further from the face increasing MOI and forgiveness...almost like a hybrid.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Casting techniques and tungsten have basically allowed them to manipulate without doing all the cutting out at the back. They can get to really thin faces, but put foam behind to act like a damper. So faces are hot, weight is ideally distributed and the foam is more of an acoustic material

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I had a set of Titleist AP3's. Yes there was the occasional flier. But how many half-duffs would have come up short without that flier? Wasn't keen on the short irons though.

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have the P790’s. Love them. Go a long way and nice high flight with soft landing and decent spin with the 8,9 and PW.

sunshine

Visit site
Casting techniques and tungsten have basically allowed them to manipulate without doing all the cutting out at the back. They can get to really thin faces, but put foam behind to act like a damper. So faces are hot, weight is ideally distributed and the foam is more of an acoustic material

Unless it's "speed foam" (TM), special foam engineered to make your ball travel, further, faster, foamier. ;)

Pour your cappuccino into your golf club and it travels 10 yards further - who knew?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Ping i500 firstly are not "foam filled" irons. They're a hollow body design.

Secondly they are tremendous in terms of feel, looks and performance.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Unless it's "speed foam" (TM), special foam engineered to make your ball travel, further, faster, foamier. ;)

Pour your cappuccino into your golf club and it travels 10 yards further - who knew?
I just cannot see how the foam offers any speed, it’s partly why I don’t buy TM stuff they lack honesty and try to mislead.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i tried the Mizuno HMB last year when they came out and when i had my latest fitting, my pro was dead against me getting the full set and insisted on 4-7 only and the blade in 8,9,PW for the reasons stated.

nice looking irons though

D

Deleted Member 1156

Judging by the (lack of) speed that the guy in Costa takes to put foam on my cappucinno I really can't see how it will add speed to my golf ball :unsure:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just cannot see how the foam offers any speed, it’s partly why I don’t buy TM stuff they lack honesty and try to mislead.

The foam is not there to add speed. It is there solely to dampen the sound and feel.

It is the club weight distribution and spring like effect of the face that adds speed.

sunshine

Visit site
I'm talking about the hollow irons like TM p790s, Pimg i500's, Mizuno mp20hmb etc etc.

Does anyone play them and what do they think ?

Is it true that you get that crazy shot that for some reason just flies 20 yards further?

Considering the likes of Jason Day, Rose, Johnson etc all started playing P790s when they came out, I doubt they have a random "crazy shot" that flies 20 yards further.

I always think that when someone claims a random shot that just flies 20 yards further than usual because of the clubface, it was actually just a flier, or they connected a bit better than normal.