Those foam filled irons.....

sunshine

Visit site
The foam is not there to add speed. It is there solely to dampen the sound and feel.

It is the club weight distribution and spring like effect of the face that adds speed.

Although you may be right, the marketing guys at TM say this:

SpeedFoam™
An ultra-light urethane foam injected inside the head that’s engineered to push the design limits of face speed while simultaneously improving feel.

D

Deleted member 1147

Considering the likes of Jason Day, Rose, Johnson etc all started playing P790s when they came out, I doubt they have a random "crazy shot" that flies 20 yards further.

I always think that when someone claims a random shot that just flies 20 yards further than usual because of the clubface, it was actually just a flier, or they connected a bit better than normal.

I assume you mean in the long/driving irons, I'm not aware of any tour players using P790 for the full set.

My only reason for not choosing the Ping i500s was that I'd need about 5 wedges, as the PW went crazy far.

They are however a good option for people who generate a lot of spin in their irons, the reason I couldn't use the i210.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

SpeedFoam™
An ultra-light urethane foam injected inside the head that’s engineered to push the design limits of face speed while simultaneously improving feel.

It's about interpreting the words

This means that the ultra thin face gives more speed and is dampened by foam not that the foam adds speed.

peld

Visit site
i have sub70 699's which are filled hollow heads and they play great.
Can only think of one "flier" occasion when i hit a PW about 140, but that could have been wind+strike+miracle

Really like the clubs, and notice the benefit of you hit a little thin they come out nice rather than shoot low

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

SpeedFoam™
It should say the face is so flexible the foam stops the face when impacted touching the back of the club.. ?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Never had a magical flier of +20 yards in 2 seasons of i500. Usual pish spouted by someone that's suddenly taken as gospel.

Mine are fitted with UST Recoils and they're tremendous. Best bats I've ever owned by a considerable margin.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Andy. Ask Danny about his 790’s.

Loved 4-7 iron but could not hit 8, 9 or PW for toffee.

Absolutely true. I passionately hated the short irons. I don't know why, but they felt awful and just fell out of the sky. The longer irons were epically good though. I was knocking the 6 iron out to the 200 yard flag fairly consistently, but the 8 iron went about 125!!! Made for some interesting shot choices for a few months...

D

Deleted member 15344

Couple of guys I play with have the P790’s and the Ping Version - the P790’s certainly get some big fliers from the rough mainly but even from the fairway , guy with the pings not so much but getting rid of them due to feeling horrific even from pure strikes

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Couple of guys I play with have the P790’s and the Ping Version - the P790’s certainly get some big fliers from the rough mainly but even from the fairway , guy with the pings not so much but getting rid of them due to feeling horrific even from pure strikes

I loved the feel of the Ping's and didn't have any issues with them in trying them out, even the off centre hits. It was the stupid length because of the cranked lofts I hated, especially in the shorter irons. Not sure how I would have filled the gap at the bottom end with wedges. The mid-irons (6, 7, 8) I thought were excellent for shots into the green

Doodle

Visit site
I play Ping i500 irons, compared to my last set of irons Ping G20 they are fab.
The i500 are maybe a shade longer, lovely flight & very easy to hit well.