Thinking of changing Irons

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi folks,

I am thinking of changing my irons, Had the current ones for 2 years, but have never quite found the consistancy I had with my previous ones.
I would be grateful for some suggestions on what to try, I am going to Andrew morris on Tuesday so would like some ideas.
My clubs, as you can see below, are TM tour preferred, dg s300, 2 deg upright, had these fitted.
My previous irons were TM ltII, dg r300, standard, not fitted.
I am thinking that I may have an incorrect fitting as I have worked on my swing since I got these, so shaft and lie may be out. I can work the ball both ways, irons are my strength, my stock shot is a soft draw.
Some clubs I am thinking about are, Ping s57(old version I know), Ping I15, Mizuno mp53/63, if they have them to try would be very interested, nike vr red blades.
Any ideas, or other suggestions?

Thanks

JT

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Have you done a comparison with your current irons and the selected potential ones?

Regardless of which clubs we'd suggest, it's what works for you that matters. Naturally, I'd say go for the Mizzys, whilst others would no doubt say Ping, Titleist etc. But (just for a few on here!), at the end of the day, it's what you feel comfortable with that matters.

Our Pro shop let me take demo clubs out on the course to try, great for 'real time' evaluation. And it let me evaluate the pros and cons, as well well as the usual range comparisons. You need your current bats as a bench mark for the stuff you want to try.

But I'm a higher h'capper than you so quite honestly what the heck do I know! But it just makes sense to me. Though I'm sure that you knew all this anyway. So why am I replying???????????

I hope you enjoy the process as much as I did earlier this year.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks hapless, I have tried the nike vr blades, but only the 6 iron and it was very good, same with both pings. I have a mizzy 3 iron and like it.

Our pro shop is not vastly stocked, but the place I am going to has a range and was reccomended by the pro at our gc, so hopefully it go well.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Working on your game may not have changed your height on address etc matey.
Changing lie is a bit of a strange one to me (in principle) surely if you are hitting the ball first, 2 degrees isnt going to change an awful lot. Now, standing a lot closer to the ball will need such a change though, but if you have not changed that then its not really applicable. Others may disagree though.
Good luck and let us know how you get on :)

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was thinking that the changes have made my swing a little flatter, where before I was more upright. I guess not much diff although 2 deg at impact could mean a greater miss at the target?
I also thought that the shafts I have are too heavy, so may look at other makes like kbs, for my swing speed I think somewhere between stiff and reg would be perfect, but having a lighter stiff shaft maybe the answer. ach, hopefully I will find this out :)

Will see how it goes tuesday, and let you know, cheers Brendy

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ive got s300s on my AP2's and coming from RAC LT 2's (rifle 6's) didnt think they were any heavier to be honest. I do have a fairly quick swing but even when hitting an extra club easier, dont lose anything from it.
I would say you are going about it in the right way though, trying others with no commitment to changing, just in case the grass isn't any greener out there.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
If they wont make a marked difference its not worth listening to the whinging the wife will do spending money before christmas etc, lol!

I am just lucky that I have a bitherday to come and christmas, and she doesnt know what to get me :)

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
James

Find somewhere that has the Mizuno shaft optimiser, and in 3 swings you will have 3 shaft recommendations. Then demo some clubs to see what you like and what suits you.

I will also recommend Mizunos, and the 53s and 63s are great clubs. If you like, you can get a mixed set, 53s from 3 or 4 to 6 iron, and 63s below, to give the best of both worlds.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks Ethan,

I am interested in the mizunos, as stated i have an mp60 3 iron i have grown to love, there is a couple of places that have the mizuno fitting near by, nevada bobs is only 25 miles from me, and a couple of courses, city of Derry and Banbridge, I am off tuesday and it is on my to do list for then, so might get a run at bobs too! cheers

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I had the Swing Optimizer test on my Mizzy fitting and its soooo easy.
3 swings and you know which shaft is right. A choice of 3 in order.
I got the MP58's - Mmmmmmmm...........

Bunkers

Head Pro
Visit site
Howdy

I've just returned from the range where i was testing some of the new Mizuno irons.

Without a shaddow of a doubt the JPX800 Pro is the longest and most forgiving iron i've ever played...i'm going for a proper CF on these once i've done my sums to afford them.

Tried the 58s, 53s and the nickel finish 68s for a laugh but, for me, the winner was defo the JPX800 Pro (R300 shaft). Worth giving a smack at least...

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
How do you find the 58's? I may get a look when I head back to andrew morris and he has the mizuno cart. Not sure about the jpx though, I realise they maybe long and forgiving, but thats not what I am after. thanks, and good luck with them :)