Things that would happily not have on your car

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Defo lane assist. Absolute danger on narrow country roads where I live. Bowling along and you need to move out to give a bicyclist their 1.5 metres and it pulls you back in towards them. Got so fed up having to remember to switch it off every time you started the VW Golf we changed it for a BMW 1 series which enables you disable it.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I spent most of the test drive for my car asking if each jazzy feature he showed me could be turned off. Agree lane assist the worst but auto wipers - why?
Also don’t mind the light going on automatically but hate them switching to/from main beam on their own.

Wait until you see matrix lights. Mind blowing.

Led lights that full beem themselves but pretty much all time but sense the light coming and turn off sections off the led so not to dazel people but u see more of the road

They are actually amazing

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I deliver cars professionally and often have to do some really tight close manoeuvering, my pet hate is the system that thinks you are going to crash and slams on the brakes when not expected.
Also as it locks, to get the car to move again, you have to be a bit heavy with the accelerator which if you are a bit close, can become a tad hairy as the car lurches forward.

Another vote against lane assist, utter pain

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lane assist!!!

The first time I acme across it I was only going 5 miles home in a loan car.
Somebody had left it on. I thought something had gone wrong with the power steering and nearly missed my turn off on the dual carriageway.
When I got home I realised there was no manual in the car to work what was going on how to turn it off and had a very not fun journey back to the garage.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
All the gadgets and gizmos in my leaf are off by default so if you want anything on you have to turn them on.
I do like the adaptive cruise control though and the e pedal for regen braking

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Auto lights and wipers. Lights don't come on soon enough, especially in misty/foggy conditions and auto wipes either too soon (scrape across windscreen) or too late plus if the screen is frozen it's not good.

Lane assist - I don't mind a steering wheel vibration to warn but that's enough. Even though I'm a BMW driver I indicate all the time when moving across a lane so it doesn't really bother me too much.

Cruise control is handy when my dodgy achilles is playing up!

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have auto lighting but don't use it as I decide when I need dipped headlights. Nothing against it but as someone has said they don't always come on soon enough.
One of my pet hates is drivers not putting their lights on in pouring rain.
I drove back from Bournemouth via Portsmouth in driving rain today, and the amount of cars without any lights on at all was staggering!
Do people realise that most cars with running lights do not have rear lights on as well. I think manufacturers should make all cars with both front and rear lights on as normal running lights.
Cruise control is brilliant, used in the right way, as is adaptive. It's a matter of getting used to it. If someone pulls in front of you whilst on adaptive, just pull out and car will reach speed again quite quickly. Used properly on a motorway I think it makes for safer driving with more comfort.

Having electric windows is a great addition, when it's hot and fresh air is needed just open front passenger window, easy peasy👍

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah my dad had a load of stuff nicked from his car while it was on the driveway because of that. Now he only gets cars where the keyless can be disabled.

Have to admit I just put a £20 steering lock on mine to put people off

It's annoying tho, I wish it was just keyless start

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
There's not much to get rid of in terms of bells and whistles on a 2017 Peugeot Boxer - even the un-silenceable reversing beeper serves a purpose for annoying the neighbours.