Things That Gladden The Heart

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Finally finishing a chess board for a friend's young son who is autistic and loves chess. Been trying to get to this for about a month. It's a more complex process than it looks though so had to really focus once I got going on it.

I hope he likes it and gets years of enjoyment from it.

All made from off-cuts that were kicking around the workshop as my friend wanted to pay me for making it and stressed that I wasn't to but any materials for it. So I didn't :D

View attachment 46315View attachment 46314
Are you doing this full time now grieg?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I can sort of sympathise with your churches predicament. I don't go to church, neither does my wife and when we got married, we thought it would be weird to get married in a church (even though in laws are regulars). I therefore think it is a bit strange for people who don't go to church to suddenly want to get married in a church when there are plenty of alternate venues and the end result is the same.
In actual fact we don't view this as a predicament (as challenging for a few as it might be), more an opportunity to demonstrate that when we say that everyone of whatever faith or of no faith whatsoever is welcome - we really mean it.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sent the Mrs down to Zumba as she needed a break. Managed to get all 3 kids asleep by 7.. even with the twins loving their new cotbeds .. so no sides .. when I say loving I of course mean getting out of the bed and going somewhere else lol

20 mins of pure "fun" but hey their asleep lol

Might follow them

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is granddaughters due date today. She is still in hospital. The staff have bought her a lovely outfit. She is ten weeks old on Wednesday but we've no idea when she'll be home as there have been a few up and downs. It's certainly a roller coaster ride for us never mind our eldest and her husband.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is granddaughters due date today. She is still in hospital. The staff have bought her a lovely outfit. She is ten weeks old on Wednesday but we've no idea when she'll be home as there have been a few up and downs. It's certainly a roller coaster ride for us never mind our eldest and her husband.

The stress must be unbearable. 10 weeks of worry but hopefully the ups are beginning to outweigh the downs and the improvement steady but sure now?

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
The stress must be unbearable. 10 weeks of worry but hopefully the ups are beginning to outweigh the downs and the improvement steady but sure now?

TBH it does seem like one step forward two steps back at the moment. Vaccinations at 8 weeks old seemed to set her back a lot and she's due her next lot in another two weeks.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
TBH it does seem like one step forward two steps back at the moment. Vaccinations at 8 weeks old seemed to set her back a lot and she's due her next lot in another two weeks.

Oh the poor little poppet. She is clearly a fighter...hope the next vaccinations don't set her back again.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think she deserves 2 birthdays each year as she grows up - the actual birth and the due date :)
Hope thinks continue to go well

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The kindness of strangers. (And people in general)

Terrible awful news with the earthquakes obviously

One of the mums in eldests class arranging a drop off for clothes etc

So Mrs bagged up some coats, clothes the twins out of and I grabbed some old coats I grown out of

Bagged up taken down, turns out she put on FB and they already filled half her husband's van and her mum's car

Brilliant

She did similar last year when the fires happened near us and people lost everything

The world can be good

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Getting the last of my backlogged orders packed and ready to ship.

It’s been challenging trying to balance all the builds (especially all the glue ups and clamping) but it has been enjoyable finding solutions.

Order book is now clear and I can have a seat for a few days 😂

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Our puppy was spayed on Monday and we took her home with the big cone collar on. She wasn't happy!

Took her for the checkup on her stitches on Wednesday and opted for the surgical onesie instead, and she was wagging her tail when the nurse swapped them over and has been so much happier since.

She couldn't play with her puzzle toy on Tuesday night because of the cone, which is why we decided to change, and she is back to her normal self* in the evening now. :)

(*Nibbling our hands and growling when we try to put her in her pen! :D )

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
We've always gone for onesies or the blow up collar - those cone collars are awful and make the dogs so miserable.

We were never made aware these existed!! We were lucky, our vets do spaying via keyhole. We paid extra, but she only needed two stitches i think! Recovery was so quick!!

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Chris Parsons.

Again, he has sorted out my notifications conundrum, for which I am truly grateful.

He is an absolute star. (y)

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They're building a new river crossing in Great Yarmouth and in the course of the work dredged up an unexploded WWII bomb as part of the works. As is standard practise the bomb squad were called in and during the attempts to make it safe the "unexploded ordinance" is no longer "unexploded". Long story short, they tried to slow burn the explosive (standard practice) but it failed and set the device off causing the explosion.

The reason that this is in "things that gladden the heart" is that my line of work is in doing the surveys and identifying these sorts of devices and some companies have been trying to cut corners with their surveys. Events such as this mean that they won't be able to cut those corners and my mortgage will continue to be paid.