Things That Gladden The Heart

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Out shopping today. Coffee and tostadas on the terrace of our local cafe. Conversation following around the tables as customers interacted with each other. My language skills aren’t great but I got by in Spanish, French, Italian and a smattering of English. Great experience as different nationalities laughed and joked. Fabulous morning.

If the world’s politicians could only get on so well…

PS - tomatoes have gone up €0.30 to €1.30 a kilo;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We are off up to London shortly to see To Kill a Mockingbird this evening at The Gielgud, with some pre-theatre dinner at a Mexican in Covent Garden. My Mrs deserves it. Grateful that we can.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
The smug self satisfaction from proving I'm right over HID :D

The two most expensive machines I have bought in my workshop are my 10" bandsaw and the jointer/thicknesser, both of which drew tuts of disapproval from the Finance Minister.

Fast forward a few months and someone wants a nice oak book case to compliment an older build. Now oak is currently through the roof price-wise. And most of this you pay for the finishing of the lumber.

So I broke the news that at current prices, it would cost somewhere around £550 for the timber alone to build what is being asked... Crestfallen she was, too expensive.

THEN!!... Oh yes, then I say "well yes, but seeing as I can mill my own lumber using the bandsaw to resaw to rough thickness and then finish size them on the planer/thicknesser (that you so disapproved of - no, of course I didn't actually say it...), I can just buy raw slabs that will cost about £150 to achieve the same result.

Oh my, I am in a good mood right now :D:D

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site