Things That Gladden The Heart

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I took 5 separate trains today. Each one on time, a big relief as my connections were tight. When the system works well trains are great.

The Flying Scotsman was doing a trip today. It was in York station on the opposite platform to me. It didn't do anything for me but it got a lot of other people excited and I'm sure it gladdened their hearts ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having one of my lads pass his test first time today with zero faults - a feat that accounts for about 0.6% of tests and is my 6th in the 18 years I've been an instructor.
A happy feeling...
Not to diminish the achievement but that probably says as much about the examiner as it does about the chap taking the test. :D

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Having one of my lads pass his test first time today with zero faults - a feat that accounts for about 0.6% of tests and is my 6th in the 18 years I've been an instructor.
A happy feeling...

Not to diminish the achievement but that probably says as much about the examiner as it does about the chap taking the test. :D

No, it says plenty about the performance that the examinee put in; if he doesn't make mistakes then the examiner can't fault him.

Not sure you're the best placed to be commenting on this subject... :unsure: :rolleyes:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No, it says plenty about the performance that the examinee put in; if he doesn't make mistakes then the examiner can't fault him.

Not sure you're the best placed to be commenting on this subject... :unsure: :rolleyes:
Oh but I am! Had some right jobsworth examiners who call you on the slightest things.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Oh but I am! Had some right jobsworth examiners who call you on the slightest things.
Then surely getting no minors means that best they've ether done well and had not had a jobsworth, or had a jobsworth and done great.

Plus, what might seem minor to you as a learner, may in their experience be a sign of an underlying gap in skillset ...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Then surely getting no minors means that best they've ether done well and had not had a jobsworth, or had a jobsworth and done great.

Plus, what might seem minor to you as a learner, may in their experience be a sign of an underlying gap in skillset ...
Obviously it's amazing from the driver. I'm just saying I'm also amazed that the examiner didn't manage to find some nit-picking fault somewhere or other, based on the examiners I had. :D

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why?

Why would an examiner not advise a new driver of minor issues that they need to be aware of? Maybe it also points to a hint of cynicism from you?
The point was all my examiners were nit-picking jobsworths who could find a fault in anything. I'd be surprised if there has ever been a zero fault test at my local test centre.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Obviously it's amazing from the driver. I'm just saying I'm also amazed that the examiner didn't manage to find some nit-picking fault somewhere or other, based on the examiners I had. :D

First test I took I passed with 0 minors

I then got 6 points after year so had to retest

The examiner was looking to fail me when she saw the points

I got a major for being undertaken coming off a fly over.. from the car behind. Apparently I should have been over so he could get past .. I couldn't really as the person was undertaking me!

3rd test I passed 3 minors even hit the curb on a manaver

He said I made a mistake but corrected it and didn't let it bother me

Sometimes you just get funny ones

D

Deleted member 1418

The point was all my examiners were nit-picking jobsworths who could find a fault in anything. I'd be surprised if there has ever been a zero fault test at my local test centre.

Or possibly all your examiners actually thought you were - at the time of your test - a danger to yourself and other road users? After all, what damage can a motor vehicle do if it's being driven by someone who is incapable of driving it safely!!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
First test I took I passed with 0 minors

I then got 6 points after year so had to retest

The examiner was looking to fail me when she saw the points

I got a major for being undertaken coming off a fly over.. from the car behind. Apparently I should have been over so he could get past .. I couldn't really as the person was undertaking me!

3rd test I passed 3 minors even hit the curb on a manaver

He said I made a mistake but corrected it and didn't let it bother me

Sometimes you just get funny ones
I had exactly the same on one test. I was in the right lane on a dual carriageway, I stayed there for a bit as I knew there were parked cars on the left lane further down and didn't want to be going left, right, left all the way down. Another driver just shot past me on the left and cut in front. Gave me a major fault saying somebody "had to" undertake me - even though I was doing the limit so he was effectively speeding.

How many faults did you get?
Which time? Or all the times added together? :p I think I had 8 on the one I passed, but like 5 of them were for using mirrors which was nonsense.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Or possibly all your examiners actually thought you were - at the time of your test - a danger to yourself and other road users? After all, what damage can a motor vehicle do if it's being driven by someone who is incapable of driving it safely!!
Not the opinion of the instructors I had at the time, but I'm sure you know best. (y)