Things That Gladden The Heart

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
No idea where to post this as it will be incredibly sad for someone.

Anyway, last night there is a post on our residents group that a cat has been hit and killed and looking for the owner. The description fits ours and he looked identical and so we took him home wrapped him up to go to the vets for cremation in the morning and basically spent the whole night blubbing as Arby is something special. Anyway, I go to the vets this morning, hand him over and as a last thought asked them to triple check by reading the chip. It does not match the one on record. Anyway, our old vet was not good and the first chip he had failed and a new one was put in and we assumed they had not updated his records. The vets started to look into it and within the hour we had the miracle call telling us that it was not Arby and they had been in touch with the owner.

Both of us rush home from work as we cannot believe it as we still had not seen Arby since yesterday evening. Come home and he is fast asleep on the bed totally oblivious. Queue extensive tears of joy and many dreamies for the moggy.

Still sad as someone else has had that terrible phone call but so happy that Arby is OK.

Definitely a thing that gladdens for you guys - although as you say someone else will suffer. You must be so happy though - give that cat loads of cuddles (if he allows)!!

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
When my lad was playing for Notts county boys 24 years ago I had a natter with a guy who told me that the UK had 1,200 UEFA B coaches. Mostly at pro clubs.
France had 10,000. From grass roots upwards.
To many fathers with minimal coaching badges coaching.
Although it is better today than 24 yrs ago👍
I could go on at length about the failings of coach education in this country and how our attitudes to football are harming the production of technically able players.

It’s not the UEFA B coaches that make the difference at younger grass roots level. It’s the formats of the games and training.

We now have a lot of B licence coaches, but that badge is only really relevant once you get to 11v11 at a decent level.

There needs to be an awful lot more coach education done for people who look after the very young players. Current the level 1 is done online to hundreds of coaches at a time and is pretty much focused on safeguarding. I’ve seen a decline in behaviour and attitudes at U7/8/9 recently because there is now no one filtering out the morons and either not passing them or changing their attitudes.

B licences per county in 2017

IMG_7269.jpeg

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I could go on at length about the failings of coach education in this country and how our attitudes to football are harming the production of technically able players.

It’s not the UEFA B coaches that make the difference at younger grass roots level. It’s the formats of the games and training.

We now have a lot of B licence coaches, but that badge is only really relevant once you get to 11v11 at a decent level.

There needs to be an awful lot more coach education done for people who look after the very young players. Current the level 1 is done online to hundreds of coaches at a time and is pretty much focused on safeguarding. I’ve seen a decline in behaviour and attitudes at U7/8/9 recently because there is now no one filtering out the morons and either not passing them or changing their attitudes.

View attachment 52637

i have a lot of respect for the coaches who give their time to develop the boys. Unfortunatley, it is a lottery system. And the abuse they get from the parents is immense. We are lucky to have a great coach.
His philosophy is to develop the players, get them playing as a team and life long friendship. Lets be honest, 95% of the grassroots kids are not going to play a league. But they will all grow up into supporters.

when my son was sub-10, we had a family which was supercompetitive. They would turn up and shout at the boy. The boy would get £5 every time he scored. He was talented, quick and everything. But he was also selfish striker who left the team vulnerable. The family would turn up on match day, with some beer cans, red bulls etc. They would end up shouting at the opposition coaches, then the refs and slowly at our coaches. Luckily they decided that the our club was too small for them. So moved to rival across town. He used to score against us and in festivals, but got overlooked by Scouts. Another 3 years later, they got kicked out of that too. I am told the boy does not play much footy now. I am assuming that this is not an isolated incident

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i have a lot of respect for the coaches who give their time to develop the boys. Unfortunatley, it is a lottery system. And the abuse they get from the parents is immense. We are lucky to have a great coach.
His philosophy is to develop the players, get them playing as a team and life long friendship. Lets be honest, 95% of the grassroots kids are not going to play a league. But they will all grow up into supporters.

when my son was sub-10, we had a family which was supercompetitive. They would turn up and shout at the boy. The boy would get £5 every time he scored. He was talented, quick and everything. But he was also selfish striker who left the team vulnerable. The family would turn up on match day, with some beer cans, red bulls etc. They would end up shouting at the opposition coaches, then the refs and slowly at our coaches. Luckily they decided that the our club was too small for them. So moved to rival across town. He used to score against us and in festivals, but got overlooked by Scouts. Another 3 years later, they got kicked out of that too. I am told the boy does not play much footy now. I am assuming that this is not an isolated incident
One of my golf mates is a football coach for (i think) U13/14s and he mentioned last year about a bloke who was the fitness coach for his team. For 13/14 year olds?!?!?!

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
One of my golf mates is a football coach for (i think) U13/14s and he mentioned last year about a bloke who was the fitness coach for his team. For 13/14 year olds?!?!?!
tbh, it is not a bad idea. We wonder how france is churning out world class players while we dont. You need all the help you can get. I think we ran into some team in the league last year which had a fitness coach.. we were all jealous of it.. So we scoffed at the idea..

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Watched some of the grandsons football this last three or four years. He is now 11. Some of the kids are as fit as butchers dogs. Others really do need a fitness coach. But not just fitness but a diet coach. It’s not the kids at 11 yr old that are to blame for being a couple of stones overweight but the parents. ☹️ You can see some of the overweight kids love the football and some are very good footballers, but by the end of some games they cannot run.

Tashyboy

Visit site

View attachment 52637
This all day long, I saw a kid who was very talented. He was an excellent player. But his attitude was embarrassing and disgusting. He should have been sent off. 9/10 yr old. The ref asked his manager to take him off with 2 mins to go. The lad told the manager to go “forth and multiply”. His manager needed to tell him to find another team.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
RBS (or NatWest) online banking

£200 to switch to them ATM. Very painless. I'm always up to be paid to switch to a new bank

This one you don't need to transfer any active direct debits .. so an old account that does nothing will do

What is good is I want to pay something and my payees have all been moved over

Fully recommend to anyone who wants to switch for easy money.

samthom99

Visit site
RBS (or NatWest) online banking

£200 to switch to them ATM. Very painless. I'm always up to be paid to switch to a new bank

This one you don't need to transfer any active direct debits .. so an old account that does nothing will do

What is good is I want to pay something and my payees have all been moved over

Fully recommend to anyone who wants to switch for easy money.
Thanks for sharing, i've got an old Lloyds account that i can switch from which i will do today.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for sharing, i've got an old Lloyds account that i can switch from which i will do today.

They are identical banks and apps, so whatever one suits you location wise for a branch prob the best choice.

I already have NatWest (you need to not have switched via NatWest group after 2020 , I moved 2019 so they let me ) so I went RBS

The app is exactly the same with a different logo 😂

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My niece has just arrived (1 yo) for couple hours whilst my sister goes for an appointment

The girls love her. So means we have best behaviour for an hour or so 😂😂

Just have to make sure she doesn't do her first steps without my sister

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Agreed to “train” a good mate to run this years Great North Run in a decent time, this evening he has ran 5 mile non-stop for the first time, his face at the end was beaming, absolutely buzzing he was.
I’d managed to get up to 8 miles, which felt pretty good, then my youngest was born and I literally just stopped, used to love getting out at about 6am, not a soul about and gave you time to gather your thoughts for the day 😀

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I’d managed to get up to 8 miles, which felt pretty good, then my youngest was born and I literally just stopped, used to love getting out at about 6am, not a soul about and gave you time to gather your thoughts for the day 😀
I was happy with 4 mile 😬
Definitely not at 6am tho.
I’m envious of people that I see doing that when on my way to work.
Mentally it must be a great way to start the day.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I was happy with 4 mile 😬
Definitely not at 6am tho.
I’m envious of people that I see doing that when on my way to work.
Mentally it must be a great way to start the day.

Bit past it now. Well, actually well past it. I was never into long distances - bored me rigid. But give me an hour of sprints/200m training, oh yes please. 100m was too short/fast for me but 200m/400m was my thing.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Anyone that likes running has my full admiration. How do you train someone to run half a marathon 😳
By taking it slow😬 we started in Jan walking/jogging for 20 minutes, 2-3 run/walks a week building up a base!

Shortest/normal run is now 5K, long runs are more about time than distance, really slow, slow enough that we can hold a conversation, normal run, I talk, he mumbles, fast run, he concentrates on breathing😂😂

Speed/times are different for everyone.

Proper training will start mid May when we’ll do a more structured 16 week trg programme, hopefully he’ll do a couple of half marathons really slow, walking and running before we do the GNR.

Tashyboy

Visit site
By taking it slow😬 we started in Jan walking/jogging for 20 minutes, 2-3 run/walks a week building up a base!

Shortest/normal run is now 5K, long runs are more about time than distance, really slow, slow enough that we can hold a conversation, normal run, I talk, he mumbles, fast run, he concentrates on breathing😂😂

Speed/times are different for everyone.

Proper training will start mid May when we’ll do a more structured 16 week trg programme, hopefully he’ll do a couple of half marathons really slow, walking and running before we do the GNR.
🤣🤣🤣👍

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I tried getting into it a couple of year back & definitely felt better for it.
I just hated it.
Might give it another go 🤔
Exactly that. I used to try and do 5k once or twice a week, but it was only after finishing that I was glad I'd done it. Every minute during was tedious and I wanted it to end. Some people actually enjoy running, I have no idea how.

I used to listen to music to get through it, but I've got into podcasts the last couple of years and that would probably be better as something you can really focus on to take your mind off the running, as opposed to music just falling into the background.