Things That Gladden The Heart

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Watch yourself up my way with the ice, absolutely nothing salted and lots of black ice on paths and roads.
That would have given you a scare!!
Wasnt too bad, fine along the canal, up through the dochfore estate and back along the top onto the GGW. A little bit on the path past SNH, but the bit by the 16th tee on the Kings and above the 3rd green was likeva skating rink. Had to actually ride back along the fairways as that path just wasn't passable. Won't be going that way again on the bike again for a few days. Walked it yesterday and it wasn't as bad. Must have melted overnight and frozen over again.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
A little while back a warning light came on in the car.
Looked it up: "emissions control, get it checked asap".
Took it to my local independent garage, left it with them overnight.
Turned out they had to replace a faulty lambda sensor.
Paid the bill and was about to drive away, when the guy ran over to me:
"I've overcharged you. Should have been one hour labour, not three".
I thought I must be dreaming. That garage is getting all my custom from now on.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
He probably got fired shortly after that ?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Decided to do our Christmas shop at 9 o clock this evening. Mark's & Spencer food hall was all but empty, then round the corner to Sainsburys which was also pretty empty and both had well stocked up shelves, so we got everything we needed. So, back home by 10.15 with all the goodies for when the family pop over

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

Always remember moving to a new village many years ago and my wife’s car developed what we thought was a significant fault. We booked it in at the local garage, the fella spent about half an hour establishing it was actually something very minor, and charged us only for the part. I’m sure we’ve all been to less scrupulous garages which would have confirmed the non-existent significant fault and charged accordingly.

Suffice to say we’ve now been using the same place for 25 years.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Fuse or motor went on my screenwash on the way down to Castle Douglas.
Lady Doon said try the wee garage next to Tesco, some hope I thought a couple of days before they break for Christmas.
The mechanic stopped what he was doing and saw me straight away.
Found it was a fuse in a huge fuse box fixed it and charged £2 for the tea box.
I gave him £20 and said buy some choccy biscuits.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
A great year for Garden birds got even better today. First time we have seen a woodpecker in the garden. Seen them around the outskirts and along the river from a distance never close up. Had a good peck at a dead bit of apple tree.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
A great year for Garden birds got even better today. First time we have seen a woodpecker in the garden. Seen them around the outskirts and along the river from a distance never close up. Had a good peck at a dead bit of apple tree.
Only ever seen one.
When my son was little we could hear one in woods behind the house,we spent hours looking for it.

Never found it ?‍♂️?

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have a few common ones on the golf course. Don’t see them very often but hear them all the time. Mainly seagulls in our back garden, raiding the fish food from the pond ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We get a lot of Greens around here, not so many Greater Spotted.....a pair frequent the In-laws garden regularly

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

Wife thought she saw a Goldfinch on the neighbours garage, so I put a new feeder up full of Niger seeds in the garden. Took 6 weeks but we finally attracted one. He scoffed the seeds for about 20 minutes, thought he would tell his mates and we’d be mobbed out… He’s not been back since! ?