Things That Gladden The Heart

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I’m in a little place called Lecco, on Lake Como, Italy for the wedding today of my eldest daughter, in a castle overlooking the lake.
It’s going to be a rather wonderful day
50 friends & family have flown out from the UK and about 30 from the Grooms Italian side.
Full black tie Tuxedo event ??
A trip to Bellagio if you get time is well worth it. ?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So there was me walking back to an empty house after buying the rolls for breakfast this morning - and with Mrs away at her mum's and a pile of family issues to deal with, well, I was feeling a pretty flat.

But then listening to a prog I had downloaded to my phone up popped this by John Carmichael. Now if you don't get this stuff then I suspect you may never get it. But if you do you'll understand why my spirits were lifted.

In my head and my minds eye I was with my mum having a great time dancing a Strip the Willow - and dad would be watching on chatting with his pals supping a whisky and half pint waiting for a Gaelic Waltz so he could take my mum up onto the floor. A few wee tears of sadness in my eyes as I type as they are gone - but lovely memories this music brings flooding to the fore and such gladness and gratitude for my glorious Hebridean and Highland cultural inheritance. And I am so cheered up.

BTW - if you've never danced a Strip the Willow then maybe stick it on your 'To Do' list. I can guarantee you won't regret it (though you'll be knackered when you are done as the band would play this set of tunes maybe 4 times :))

One of my cherished memories is of my 19 year old wife to be dancing an eightsome reel at a friends wedding.
Without any training she 'got it' straight away much to the amazement of me and my friends.
She told me after that they taught Scottish dancing in Essex schools.:love:

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
One of my cherished memories is of my 19 year old wife to be dancing an eightsome reel at a friends wedding.
Without any training she 'got it' straight away much to the amazement of me and my friends.
And in some Surrey schools back in the day.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

Millwall as well ?…. But not too surprising given the amount of Scots living on the Isle Of Dogs!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think many areas did a version. It was called country dancing at my school in the NW of England, you did country dancing at a barn dance o_O. When I came to the NE the event changed from being a Barn Dance to a Celidh but basics were similar and easy to pick up. Same thing in reality, different name. Good fun but haven't done one for years.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think many areas did a version. It was called country dancing at my school in the NW of England, you did country dancing at a barn dance o_O. When I came to the NE the event changed from being a Barn Dance to a Celidh but basics were similar and easy to pick up. Same thing in reality, different name. Good fun but haven't done one for years.
We have called dancing at the Burns Supper and Ceilidh I put on at the club. And one of many dances we always do a Strip the Willow.

I was brought up doing Scottish Country Dancing both through school, and as we went as a family to the Tiree Association Annual Gathering bash held every year in Glasgow City Halls. A great occasion - concert followed by a dance - the concert hosted one year not that long ago by Alastair Campbell (yes that one) as his dad was from the island, and he's a good piper also. There was almost nothing I liked more in my teens back then than inviting a pretty lass up for a Scottish waltz - how close you could get to a girl without strings attached or her slapping you ;) Love it.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Some boarding school that taught the Highland Fling or the sword Dance…?

Yep the Sword Dance too - loved that. The Royal Calendonian Schools in....Bushey, near Watford.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Caledonian_School

Mum was Scottish, Dad English. She worked for the NAAFI in Egypt when he was stationed there and they fell in love. She sadly died when I was just two and we (The Jackson 5!) were sent to The Caley as my Dad was still a serving officer.

Jackson 5 At Caley.jpg

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
When it works as we'd all hope - the NHS. Referred for a small lump inside my lip - nothing nasty but surgeon recommended removing and biopsy just in case. Two weeks later I'm in Addenbrookes for my 2.30 appointment. In exactly on time and out 20 minutes later minus one lump plus two stitches. Staff all lovely too.

Anaesthetic has worn off though...:cry:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
When it works as we'd all hope - the NHS. Referred for a small lump inside my lip - nothing nasty but surgeon recommended removing and biopsy just in case. Two weeks later I'm in Addenbrookes for my 2.30 appointment. In exactly on time and out 20 minutes later minus one lump plus two stitches. Staff all lovely too.

Anaesthetic has worn off though...:cry:
A petted lip, get well soon :whistle:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
We used to do country dancing at school usually when it was raining or snowing when we should of done PE. Basically the girls were in there changing rooms. Lads in there’s. If you wanted to choose a partner fine otherwise it was pot luck.girls walked down to the lads door and whoever was stood there.That’s your partner. God there was some mismatches.
me and Missis T went to a Celidh one evening, all was going well til we had to change partners, An old dear ended up with me as a partner and oh she was showing off, right to the second she went over on her ankle and snapped it in her high heels. She screamed, the band stopped. Missis T gave me the dead eye. Nowt to do with me. We had the buffet half an hour early as we could not move her. She went to hospital on one of those trolley beds.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Back in July last year I offered to join the wife down the gym at the club. She doesn't get out much since the girls. She finally took me up on the offer and did her first session today, classes booked for Thursday . Telling me all about it.

Glad she has a hobby again

Evening was boring as hell tho without her lol