Things That Gladden The Heart

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Try watching the Everly Brothers Devoted to You reunion shortly before Phil passed away.
Sounds are brilliant and tearful watching the reaction between them. I'm sure its on YouTube, get your tissues ready :cry::cry:(y)(y) .
The father of a former girlfriend saw them multiple times. Every UK tour, he would be there, had done since they formed. His wife would go, but roll her eyes. They did the same jokes, same links every time ?. Beautiful harmonies though. The dad was a miserable piece of work but their music was his one weak spot. Thank you Everly Brothers for the brief respite you gave me ?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Watching the Simon and Garfunkel concert from Central Park on Sky Arts. What an unlikely looking duo to become world superstars, but the sound, harmonies and songs...stunning.

Yes I watched that too, during the first lockdown I played my entire record collection and Bridge over troubled Water was one of the few that stood the test of time a real classic

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes I watched that too, during the first lockdown I played my entire record collection and Bridge over troubled Water was one of the few that stood the test of time a real classic

So many wonderful lyrics but that one always stands out for me. Plus I'm a rubbish singer but they seem to often be in a key I can sort of manage!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
So many wonderful lyrics but that one always stands out for me. Plus I'm a rubbish singer but they seem to often be in a key I can sort of manage!

We got the vicar to play that on the church organ at our wedding, almost 47 years ago. I've been trying to learn the intro on the piano and I'm about 75% of the way. Such an iconic song

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
We got the vicar to play that on the church organ at our wedding, almost 47 years ago. I've been trying to learn the intro on the piano and I'm about 75% of the way. Such an iconic song

This prompted a distant memory. Bit of a leap, but church organ and pop music.
As a teenager , most of our youth club and I were churchgoers.One, my best mate, was the assistant organist.
Before the Sunday evening service began, it was usual for the organ to play background music.Normal in most churches.
He would ask us afterwards which of the Elvis songs we were able to identify!
He was hell of an improviser, he could disguise them so well the congregation didn't have a clue exactly what they were listening to?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
As a teenager , most of our youth club and I were churchgoers.One, my best mate, was the assistant organist.
Before the Sunday evening service began, it was usual for the organ to play background music.Normal in most churches.
He was hell of an improviser, he could disguise them so well the congregation didn't have a clue exactly what they were listening to?

Isn't that the norm with church organs? I can hardly ever recognise what they're playing :)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

We asked him to play a few pop hits of the era (1975) and given that neither I, or Mrsd, are religious it was good fun

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Three years ago today Mrs SILH and myself set out from Heathrow on our 17weeks travelling down under and in SE Asia - first stop Singapore. We had no idea what fabulous adventures that we'd have, nor of course what 2020 and 2021 would bring.

We had the opportunity, we said - let's just do it - it will cost us an absolute packet but you never know what's round the corner of life. And we didn't. We created enough fabulous memories for many years of holidays. So very grateful that we had the opportunity and wherewithal.

If you see a chance take it.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Power back on after 48 hours in the cold dark ??

Don’t know if it is any consolation but the generating board ( whoever they are) said due to the wind and storms. Wind has generated the most power up to yet. Just a shame you could not get it.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don’t know if it is any consolation but the generating board ( whoever they are) said due to the wind and storms. Wind has generated the most power up to yet. Just a shame you could not get it.

Don't know about that, we have a field of turbines just over the back of the village and they were all locked off to prevent damage. Apparently there is a higher risk of fire the stronger the wind gets (according to the bloke in the next street that manages the site).

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Isn't that the norm with church organs? I can hardly ever recognise what they're playing :)
If we are singing a well known hymn or Psalm but one part, say the bass line, is not really known by us bass blokes then the organist will play putting stress on the bass line so we can follow...and that certainly gladdens the heart...of course it makes the tune less prominent :)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The wind can be generating all the power in the world but if the same wind blows over trees and takes out the overhead power cables then that electricity can not be transferred into peoples houses. That has been the problem up here, trees taking out overhead power lines. There is an irony to isn't there?

@GreiginFife is right I believe. In high winds they have to stop the turbines :oops:

Here is another one, haven't googled it. If you have solar panels, does that feed directly into your own house or does it feed into the grid? In effect, in a power cut could your house keep going if you have solar panels and there is enough light? Clearly, you would be stuffed in the night but in the day......?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site