Things That Gladden The Heart

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Piece of left over oak worktop.
When we moved into our current house 12 years ago the kitchen was falling apart and we changed it. We chose oak work tops, still looking great by the way, but with some spare the joiner fitting it cut 2 chopping boards for us. We are still using them, they still look great, they will likely see us out. Great choice to be doing what you are ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
When we moved into our current house 12 years ago the kitchen was falling apart and we changed it. We chose oak work tops, still looking great by the way, but with some spare the joiner fitting it cut 2 chopping boards for us. We are still using them, they still look great, they will likely see us out. Great choice to be doing what you are ?
My wife reminds me it’s beech. But same applies. I made myself a chopping board that’s still in use when we did our kitchen some ten years ago. My efforts with this new one convince me to make another as I’ve still got a fair bit of unused worktop left.?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
My wife reminds me it’s beech. But same applies. I made myself a chopping board that’s still in use when we did our kitchen some ten years ago. My efforts with this new one convince me to make another as I’ve still got a fair bit of unused worktop left.?

You’re probably fortunate that it’s beech.
Danish Oil on oak can be a risk due to the tannins in the oak, I’ve had a few projects where the oak has blackened when it’s reacted with the Danish Oil. It’s the chance you take.

My recommendation for the next one you make is to use mineral oil instead (also known as cutting board oil).

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Popped out for a coffee and ended up having a roast dinner, and we knew half the staff from other bars and restaurants that had closed. Great to meet old friends.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My home made mince pies baked this afternoon with my home made mincemeat filling, well according to my Mrs they are great and got the ?? What else does a bloke do when the course is closed as banks of fog keep rolling in as soon as we think of opening.

D

Deleted member 1740

My home made mince pies baked this afternoon with my home made mincemeat filling, well according to my Mrs they are great and got the ?? What else does a bloke do when the course is closed as banks of fog keep rolling in as soon as we think of opening.

Escape the wife, head straight to the pro shop and buy a new set of irons then spend 3hrs shanking them on the range, no?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Masterchef and Strictly - for once both my favourites won :)

What did you make of the Masterchef final? I thought the eventual winner was lucky to get through and the other two were head and shoulders above him. Then the lad who smashed every round made a right cock up in the final and the other did bloody steak and chips ?