Things That Gladden The Heart

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Two this morning. Successfully undid and cleared the trap from the bathroom sink (yeaugh the gunge?) and seem to have refitted it ?…and…put second coat of Danish oil on a chopping board I’m doing for my daughter’s b/f Christmas pressie - and Mrs SILH says it looks great ?

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Why does that have to be a random irritation? I’d love nothing better than to stay at home all Christmas, rather than be off around the country visiting people I’d rather not!
Fortunately my family live within a few miles of us and as I have just retired this will be the first Christmas run in in fifty years that I have not had to work. Cheers! Stay at home grandad me!

D

Deleted member 15344

There has been a number of people going around stealing Amazon parcels from peoples front doors

So someone around the corner got an Amazon Parcel box , put inside it a wine glass box and inside that decided to fill it up her dogs poop ? and a note saying - Serves you right your thieving “infraction” ?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Two this morning. Successfully undid and cleared the trap from the bathroom sink (yeaugh the gunge?) and seem to have refitted it ?…and…put second coat of Danish oil on a chopping board I’m doing for my daughter’s b/f Christmas pressie - and Mrs SILH says it looks great ?

Don’t put any more coats on that and make sure you buff that coat right down and leave it for at least a week to cure.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Don’t put any more coats on that and make sure you buff that coat right down and leave it for at least a week to cure.
Oops. I‘ve done 3rd but will wait as you suggest.before I do a final one. What do you mean by buffing right down’. Is that giving it a very fine sanding, or giving it a very hard rub down with a cloth - or what. Your advice is much appreciated. My dad was a cabinetmaker - gone now near 20yrs - real old school and I’ve got all his tools - just every so often something pops up that makes me really miss him.

Last edited:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oops. I‘ve done 3rd but will wait as you suggest.before I do a final one. What do you mean by buffing right down’. Is that giving it a very fine sanding, or giving it a very hard rub down with a cloth - or what. Your advice is much appreciated. My dad was a cabinetmaker - gone now near 20yrs - real old school and I’ve got all his tools - just every so often something pops up that makes me really miss him.

Danish Oil works by penetrating the wood grain and bonding with it then polymerising and curing. When you put more coats on it no longer penetrates and just “sits” on top. It will add more sheen to it but no more protection.
It contains varnish so it needs to fully cure before it’s really food safe.

Buffing it right down with a cloth is fine, it’s really just to make sure that the excess really is taken away as it won’t be penetrating as above.
The buffing also adds sheen to the oil before it cures.

Don’t do a ‘final’ coat as it’s not adding anything but additional time to cure.

Once applied, Danish Oil needs 15 minutes to penetrate before the excess is wiped off, once that’s done leave it a day in a warm room and then give it a proper buffing.

That’s my advice anyway, or use Mineral Oil, much safer IMO.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Danish Oil works by penetrating the wood grain and bonding with it then polymerising and curing. When you put more coats on it no longer penetrates and just “sits” on top. It will add more sheen to it but no more protection.
It contains varnish so it needs to fully cure before it’s really food safe.

Buffing it right down with a cloth is fine, it’s really just to make sure that the excess really is taken away as it won’t be penetrating as above.
The buffing also adds sheen to the oil before it cures.

Don’t do a ‘final’ coat as it’s not adding anything but additional time to cure.

Once applied, Danish Oil needs 15 minutes to penetrate before the excess is wiped off, once that’s done leave it a day in a warm room and then give it a proper buffing.

That’s my advice anyway, or use Mineral Oil, much safer IMO.
Many thanks for that. As it’s a Christmas pressie it’s not going to be used for some time and so I’ll just give it a good hard buffing down, then let it sit in warm place under our Christmas tree and not do another coat. ?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Not sure how that would affect it. The update probably originates in the PC based driver software.

Ours was done via the printer. I’ve found instructions to roll back the firmware but haven’t had time to try.
The toners aren’t even half used.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ours was done via the printer. I’ve found instructions to roll back the firmware but haven’t had time to try.
The toners aren’t even half used.

If you find a successful route would you mind sharing? Like you, my toners were only just replaced.

There is supposedly a trick by re-using the chips from genuine HP toners but not sure of it's success rate.