Things That Gladden The Heart

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Got any sprouts?

Next year! Only had the jungle a couple of months so too late for most things so popped some hardy peas, broad beans and spinach in just to see what happens. The peas look super cute and I'm chuffed something is growing!

Oh the weeding though...triffid city. Clay soil so very hard going but it will be worth it and I'm nothing if not thorough.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Heard on the radio yesterday that there is a tribute band called Elvana where they play Nirvana songs with the lead singer performing them as Elvis. Nice! ??

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Seeing all my ex-Military colleagues on LinkedIn and other social media platforms getting ready for their Remembrance Day Parades - especially as you couldn't get them anywhere near a parade square when they were serving :):) They used to come out with all sorts of reasons why they couldn't do a parade, now it seems you can't stop them marching everywhere

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Odd sock day at school for anti-bullying, SWMBO buys a pack of long socks for our Daughter to pick a couple from, our Daughter asked this morning if she could take the others in, "just in case someone forgets", and ended up helping two of her classmates who had forgotten - it would have been a third, but one of the boys didn't fancy the knee high, brightly coloured options!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Odd sock day at school for anti-bullying, SWMBO buys a pack of long socks for our Daughter to pick a couple from, our Daughter asked this morning if she could take the others in, "just in case someone forgets", and ended up helping two of her classmates who had forgotten - it would have been a third, but one of the boys didn't fancy the knee high, brightly coloured options!

Got to smile, I mentioned to grand daughter at her primary school her odd socks look nice and another parent heard and was gutted as she forgot to get her daughter an odd pair. Tomorrow is blue trouser day. Friday is Pyjama day ???

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My boy looking very smart in his Scouts uniform, all ready for Remembrance Sunday.
That was always my most special day of the year, when the 171st Glasgow scout troop was turned out in our smartest - kilted of course if we had a kilt and most had, inspected by the leaders, and we marched with the guides, Cubs and brownies two abreast the half mile or so from scout hall to church.

And my parents were especially proud if I was given the honour of carrying one of our flags…as proud as I was. The colour party practicing our slow March for weeks before, and then on the day leading the troop to church and then standing at the front of church as 11am was struck, and the congregation paused singing of Oh God Our Help in Ages Past, we gently lowered the flags down to the ground through the minute silence and then back up vertical for the final verse after the minute was done. And after the service the march past before the congregation as we headed back.

Of course at the time back in late 60s early 70s there were still very many of the congregation that served in both wars and how well we scouts honoured their fallen comrades and those they had since lost, mattered hugely. We were very conscious of that.

With my parents now gone, it brings a tingle; a lump to the throat and tear to the eye as I reflect on that.

Last edited:

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
That was always my most special day of the year, when the 171st Glasgow scout troop was turned out in our smartest - kilted of course if we had a kilt and most had, inspected by the leaders, and we marched with the guides, Cubs and brownies two abreast the half mile or so from scout hall to church.

And my parents were especially proud if I was given the honour of carrying one of our flags…as proud as I was. The colour party practicing our slow March for weeks before, and then on the day leading the troop to church and then standing at the front of church as 11am was struck, and the congregation paused singing of Oh God Our Help in Ages Past, we gently lowered the flags down to the ground through the minute silence and then back up vertical for the final verse after the minute was done. And after the service the march past before the congregation as we headed back.

Of course at the time back in late 60s early 70s there were still very many of the congregation that served in both wars and how well we scouts honoured their fallen comrades and those they had since lost, mattered hugely. We were very conscious of that.

With my parents now gone, it brings a tingle; a lump to the throat and tear to the eye as I reflect on that.

Its a proud day as a parent, when you see them all come together for an important day.
I think as well it might just give them the realisation on what has gone on before.