Things That Gladden The Heart

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Wild weather outside, wind and heavy rain - and the expensive remedial work we had done on the whole of the front of the house last year - new roughcast, sealing and painting - is proving its worth as no water dripping down inside (touchwood)...what a relief...

Kraxx68

Head Pro
Visit site
Doritos... :p
its not even lunchtime and working from home, just finished anther tube of Doritos... do you reckon there is some coating of cocaine or equivalent on these badboys... so you eat one or 2, then boom, muchies and the whole tubes gone!!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
its not even lunchtime and working from home, just finished anther tube of Doritos... do you reckon there is some coating of cocaine or equivalent on these badboys... so you eat one or 2, then boom, muchies and the whole tubes gone!!

You should try KFC flavoured Walkers Max, I swear there is heroin in them they reach that level of addictiveness

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tube? Of Doritos?

We genuinely just stopped buying crisps a while into the lockdown. You just can't have crisps in the house, it's the only way.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The house a few doors down from mine has 6 red kites circling just above the roof. They are flipping huge.

Wonder if there is a dead something in the garden, but either way, stunning birds.

We get a fat pheasant in ours. I have named him phatso.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
The house a few doors down from mine has 6 red kites circling just above the roof. They are flipping huge.

Wonder if there is a dead something in the garden, but either way, stunning birds.

We get a fat pheasant in ours. I have named him phatso.

They are magnificent birds. One of my hobbies is "slope soaring"
(Flying radio controlled model gliders from the top of a slope up which the wind is blowing.)
These slopes are also frequented by red kites, kestrels, from time to time.
One of my best memories was flying a small , I metre model when a red kite began to follow it.
Back and forth it followed- so, I brought it round in front of me about 20 yds,
with him following, when I then did a loop, back over his head.
The way that bird, twisted his head from side to side , as if to say,
"Where did that go?"

All just 20 yds in front of me.

Never to be forgotten ?

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have a few near us, often very low just above us.
The remarkable thing is that I almost never see them flap their wings.
They are truly magnificent.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We are absolutely inundated with them around here.
The reintroduction program was about 7 or 8 miles down the road from us, started 20 years ago or more.
Initially it was amazing to see them and, of course, it still is
But they're so common you almost don't give them a second glance anymore.
They love our golf course and I think there's a nesting pair near our 11th hole.
One windy day last year a kite was, I suppose, resting a bit about 6 or 7 paces from the 2nd tee.
We rocked up, teed up, hit the shots, moved on and he just watched us.
Not uncommon to see 20 or 30 birds in a flock towards sunset.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The reintroduction program was about 7 or 8 miles down the road from us, started 20 years ago or more.
They love our golf course and I think there's a nesting pair near our 11th hole.
One windy day last year a kite was, I suppose, resting a bit about 6 or 7 paces from the 2nd tee.

there were a few released on the Black Isle, and you would see them often over Inverness and the surrounding area, some idiot poisoned most of them a few years ago, killing about half. only just started to recover, great to watch true masters of the thermals the way they glide.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yup - Heading north west we will join the M40 at High Wycombe and the flocks of Red Kite we see just after joining can be amazing...we have a resident buzzard on the course and occasionally a couple...but i think the red kite may now have joined them in the area as we spotted a red kite over the course on a few occasions justmbefore the current lockdown.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Yup - Heading north west we will join the M40 at High Wycombe and the flocks of Red Kite we see just after joining can be amazing...we have a resident buzzard on the course and occasionally a couple...but i think the red kite may now have joined them in the area as we spotted a red kite over the course on a few occasions justmbefore the current lockdown.
My first (notable) experience of them was when I played Huntercombe for the first time. Certainly plenty visible from the 2nd hole, which borders some fabulous countryside. From memory, the Red Kite is the 'symbol' of the club too! There was a pair nesting/roosting in the trees bordering the 4th hole of Mill Ride when I was a member there - getting near 10 years ago now :eek:. And they are often seen at The Shire, along with Kestrels and other predatory birds.
Wonderful to see how successful the reintroduction has been - I recall seeing a bunch near the railway around Slough, so certainly spreading!
Now, if only there was a way to convince Canada Geese to 'go elsewhere'! I'd happily 'trade' them for the, much tidier all round, Egyptian ones anytime! Plenty of Egyptian Geese at Mill Ride too - in fact I remember once noting/counting 11 different types of bird on 3rd's lake once!
Golf courses are excellent 'resources' for nature in general. Craigielaw certainly had/has a strong focus on the wildlife within and near its site! Aberlady Bay hosts thousands of geese of sevreal varieties and it's a joy watching them in and above the Bay - circling, waiting their turn to land!

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yup - Heading north west we will join the M40 at High Wycombe and the flocks of Red Kite we see just after joining can be amazing...we have a resident buzzard on the course and occasionally a couple...but i think the red kite may now have joined them in the area as we spotted a red kite over the course on a few occasions just before the current lockdown.

I'd be very surprised if you don't have them as residents.
I know of nesting pairs at both Puttenham GC and Milford GC.

D

Deleted member 15344

Red Kites were reintroduced roughly around Studley Wood area , the inital nests weren’t far from there

We now have nesting families within the golf course plus we also have some buzzards

they seemed to have split across the golf course with the Kites on one half and buzzards on the other half

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
people who were out walking today all understanding SD at last, all moved to the same side of the path to let me by rather than either side so i have to go through the middle of them(y)