Things golf clubs do wrong

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Because then it would be in the review section?

This is more about things I don't like in general, and how clubs can be more welcoming, and provide a better experience, than a specific review of this course.

I have come across this sort of rubbish far too often.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It is a problem I've encountered at more than one club. However you do tend to about them a lot via word of mouth which is the best recommendation (or not) in my book. Those that are regularly slated are clear non starters when it comes to visiting and paying hard earned cash to be treated poorly

jpjeffery

Assistant Pro
learnergolfer.wordpress.com
I realise this is an old thread, but just to balance things out, here's something one of my local clubs did right.

We got an email from them promising a round for less then their usual rate, but including a abcon roll and tea/coffee.

My friend and I booked it, turned up, paid, got fed and then played.

There seemed to be some confusion about the offer when we first arrived at the club house though. When I sent an email the day after in which I politely pointed out the apparent lack of confusion about the offer they explained that the offer was meant for golf society days, rather just two players, but as they realised they'd not made that clear in the offer email they honoured it for us anyway.

Well done them, I say.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
One of my local "posh" clubs. moved us from sitting outside on a lovely table, with view of the 18th green. (it was busy, but there were still tables outside). To a guests bar inside, which was had no windows and 5 stools. It was the size of a bathroom.

This was just after my friend had bought a £300 round for getting his first par 3 eagle! To say we were pissed off was an understatement. I've never been back, and never will do.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Things golf clubs get so wrong;

Played in a society yesterday at a local course to me. I have played here about 10 times before, and so am quite familiar with the club. The location was chosen as the course drains well, and hence is ideal for a winter day out. In theory.

I will start with one of my pet hates, the visitors car park. Why do I have to park somewhere miles from the club house when I am paying upwards of £50 to play their course? In this instance, the car park is gravelled, but the only way on foot from here to the club house is by road (no pavement, fun in the dark with oncoming traffic, and ankle deep in wet leaves), or via a swamp in front of the first tee, no path, no lights. They do specifically request guest don't park in the main car park.

They only have societies on Thursdays. First tee off time is 9.15. Meet up for bacon rolls (pre-paid for) at 8.15. Only trouble is, the club house doesn't open til half 8 minimum (or the pro shop). I remembered this from last year, but only when I was standing outside it, in the rain, with no shelter, and my car parked flippin miles away.

Chef arrived at 9 o clock. Tee time put back so bacon rolls could be cooked.

Two societies going out, dark at 3.30, first tee time 9.40. Upwards of 70 players to get out. That isn't going to work. Genius.

Arrive at first tee, to see the green keeper moving the yellow tee 90 yards forwards. Apparently, we always do this for societies. Nice. So the championship tees are off, the whites are off, the proper yellows are off, and we are going off the even shorter green tees. Luckily this is only for the first, but still is rubbish. If you have yellows, and they aren't for societies, what is the point of them?

Prior to going off, I had a look at the practice facilities. Nice putting green, nice chipping green, superb driving range. Big notice by the driving range. This range is only for the use of members and guests. Read a bit further down, point 3 on the list, guests may only use this facility in conjunction with a lesson from the pro. What? How stupid is that. An empty driving range, and the only people around are all guests, as it is thursday, society day.

Played the course. Greens stupid slow. 3 putted 5 times.

Never did like the layout. OB on 5 holes, always on the left, never on the right.

5 par 5s, 6 par 3s, one of which is 72 yards. What, in all this space they couldn't fit 18 proper holes?

On the 9th, the bunker to the left of the green is flooded. It has a GUR notice in it. The same bunker was flooded last year, with the same sign in it. Hardly under GUR then. In order for it to be under repair, surely some work needs to be being done to it.

A positive (there weren't many), the halfway hut on the 11th does a really good sausage in a bun.

Finish the round, 18th (a par 3, hate par 3s to finish), green next to mens changing rooms. This is as far from the visitors car park as you can get. Raining hard too. So walk all the way to car, put golf stuff away, walk all the way back to changing room, change, back to car to put changing stuff away, back to club house. Now wet, and covered in mud again. Nearest door to get back in club is by mens changing room. Why is there no door that is unlocked any nearer to the flippin car park.

Because we teed off late, they have to put the food back. Sadly, no one told the kitchens earlier, so now the food is over cooked.

How can they get things so badly wrong.

Shot 11 over with 5 3 stabs and an OB, so played ok, putting excepted.
If they treat you like this WHY go there ,Go somewhere else that treats you properly

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have played several matches at neutral clubs and most have been good but nothing amazing until last year we played at Trethorne GC near Launceston.
The service and reception was superb. Arrived about an hour before the match started so went to the bar and ordered a coffee which was a very nice coffee. Went to reception for a token for the range for a warm up and was surprised when the guy behind the counter asked if I was playing in the match and then gave me a token FOC. The range is short and men can't use woods as there is more on the complex right next to the range but that didn't take away from the fact the range was clean and mats were in good condition.
As it had been very wet the course was a little on the soggy side in places but the greens were superb and well cut so were still quick and true.
Played from the competition tees with no problem and the after match food and service was the best I have had at any golf club.