Thick Ball Markers

Fabia999

Visit site
Hey All,

Played a midweek comp yesterday where I had a putt towards someone in my groups marked ball. It was marked with a thick poker chip, I was aiming close to it but thought it wasn't worth asking him to move it because it was a long putt. My ball is on line to go in and I hit the marker and it sends my ball in a different direction.

I'm not bothered about it but it had me think if it was a flat coin it would have just rolled over it.

Has anybody had similar experience? Whats your thoughts on it?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Hey All,

Played a midweek comp yesterday where I had a putt towards someone in my groups marked ball. It was marked with a thick poker chip, I was aiming close to it but thought it wasn't worth asking him to move it because it was a long putt. My ball is on line to go in and I hit the marker and it sends my ball in a different direction.

I'm not bothered about it but it had me think if it was a flat coin it would have just rolled over it.

Has anybody had similar experience? Whats your thoughts on it?
Ask them to move it next time.
I don’t care how long my putt is, if I've got a marker anywhere on or near enough my line, I'll be asking for it to be moved. And that includes the thinnest coin.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Ask them to move it

Or

I have a pretty big marker, nowhere near poker chip but too big to roll over. So i also carry an old school brass one. If someone is anywhere near my line, and moving it doesnt remove the distraction, I'll ask them to use my marker.....

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Definition by R & A: “An artificial object when used to mark the spot of your ball to be lifted, such as a tee, a coin, an object made to be a ball-marker or another small piece of equipment"

So it's legal to use a variety of shapes & sizes. The solution is to have a marker moved if there is any chance you will hit it. Even a coin would likely deflect the ball.

RichA

Visit site
Unless it's a tee peg or beer bottle, I generally figure it's just as likely to help as hinder on any putt more than 10 feet.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The poker chip ones are daft. The marker(s) I use are all thin and flat, so if anyone does hit a wayward putt it should roll over it. I don't know why the poker ones exist. You might as well use an up-turned saucer or a coffee cup as a bloody marker.
I think those who you them might think it says something about themselves, well it might…anyway…in my golfing world their use seems to be less prevalent these days than it was just a few years ago…so maybe just a bit of a fad.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The poker chip ones are daft. The marker(s) I use are all thin and flat, so if anyone does hit a wayward putt it should roll over it. I don't know why the poker ones exist. You might as well use an up-turned saucer or a coffee cup as a bloody marker.

I've got this marker somewhere from a ET event

It's like a poker chip but also has a smaller market inside it

So if you want a quick mark throw it down, if you are in way use small one

However I just use the ones that clip to my hat.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I use the footjoy weather soft gloves and one of the reasons is this glove seems to be the only one still manufactured with the 10mm wide stud style marker. The fact the logo is all black makes it less distracting for other golfers if I’m on line or near it.

It always cooks my cockles when I ask for a ball to be marked and they pull out a dinning room plate that’s bigger than the bloody ball I asked them to move!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use the footjoy weather soft gloves and one of the reasons is this glove seems to be the only one still manufactured with the 10mm wide stud style marker. The fact the logo is all black makes it less distracting for other golfers if I’m on line or near it.

It always cooks my cockles when I ask for a ball to be marked and they pull out a dinning room plate that’s bigger than the bloody ball I asked them to move!
This glove also has a marker by the way: https://www.snaintongolf.co.uk/golf...ather-golf-gloves/footjoy-gtxtreme-golf-glove the entire FJ logo is a magnetic marker that comes off the glove. And it's a thin, flat one, unlike the Weathersof one. :D

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

3 of our Captains gave out poker chips to everybody on their day ( I suspect the male captain was more likely to be responsible).

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This glove also has a marker by the way: https://www.snaintongolf.co.uk/golf...ather-golf-gloves/footjoy-gtxtreme-golf-glove the entire FJ logo is a magnetic marker that comes off the glove. And it's a thin, flat one, unlike the Weathersof one. :D

But the magnetic ones always get lost and are the size of a small island ?

I believe new stock weather softs come with this style, the older stock still has the stuff style so I generally buy 3 or 4 when I see them I’m on shelves, unfortunately the last ones were black and navy which really pissed the fashion police off @Bratty & @Dando but I feel the colours go great with my pink castle tees so ball-axe to them ?