The "What would you have done differently thread"

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For Me, in this situation you want to make sure you dont lose the hole. Youve gotta keep yourself in it all the way, the driver off the deck is too risky, ease a hybrid or 3wood up there, chip it close, tap it in and walk onto the next hole if he makes 4. But through that whole process the pressure is on your opponent as well.

My thoughts exactly, he took the pressure right off Grillo with that shot....

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My thoughts exactly, he took the pressure right off Grillo with that shot....

And if he'd have pulled it off like he had 5 times previously he have put the pressure on him. If you're gonna be a winner, you play to win, you don't play not to lose.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And if he'd have pulled it off like he had 5 times previously he have put the pressure on him. If you're gonna be a winner, you play to win, you don't play not to lose.

Yes, but what were the circumstances of the other 5 drivers off the deck - none had the same consequences as the playoff hole. There is a balance between positive and playing the percentages. It was also matchplay so needed to respond to how his opponent sat in the hole - a driver was too risky as it brought a lot of the hazards into play. The fact he snap hooked it showed the margin of error was too small for that shot given the circumstance - hence a wrong choice of shot.....but what do i know, he's the PGA pro earning millions!!

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
After 72 holes of strokes its now matchplay .. IMO you do what u need to do , if an 8 wins you the comp so be it .. just my opinion tho

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
After 72 holes of strokes its now matchplay .. IMO you do what u need to do , if an 8 wins you the comp so be it .. just my opinion tho

Agreed, but it's easy to say he did the wrong thing after a bad shot. If he lays up, hits the green and two putts he still loses and always wonders "what if I'd hit driver". All he did wrong was hit a bad shot, and that can happen at any time with any club

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agreed, but it's easy to say he did the wrong thing after a bad shot. If he lays up, hits the green and two putts he still loses and always wonders "what if I'd hit driver". All he did wrong was hit a bad shot, and that can happen at any time with any club

Very true . very few if any mistakes made in hindsight

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
It probably comes down to that winning mentality of just going for it and these guys have that skill level to achieve these shots I suppose. But he effectively threw away his chance of winning by hitting that shot, he lost the tournament in my eyes. I can't imagine a harder shot though, 2nd play off hole with a driver off the deck, it's a low % shot in those circumstances I would assume.

Had he belted a shot to 75 yards for a 3/4 gap wedge left, Grillo would have been under much more pressure for his next shot.

Having watched Na play a full 3 wood 260 (carry and stop) from a concrete cart path in an event a couple of years ago (completely flushed it and didn't touch the path at all...) you need to appreciate that these players do not play by the same rules that we do. Most tour pros can hit a driver from the fairway cleaner, straighter and more accurately than we can hit wedges - as can most elite amateurs.

It's all a case of risk reward - the place he doesn't want to go is anywhere from 1/3 fairway right and anywhere to the left of this at any distance. The premium to that pin was on the fairway 1ft in from the right - and despite being relatively far back and off the fairway Grill was actually in a good position due to his angle and lie. Na wants to get beyond the bunker short of the green and right of it - to him the driver is the safe shot to achieve this. He blew it. Happens.

If I had a had a lot of money riding on him I would have been happy with his choice of club/shot - but not his execution!

As many many players illustrated over and over again yesterday, middle of the fairway lay ups gave almost no chance at all of leaving a reasonable putt to that pin

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would assume he would play the shot he was comfy which and as he's played it five times before that's what he felt was best. I wonder given the circumstances how much input the caddy had.

Hardly any if at all.

Na sounded like he was very happy with his play in the interview.
He might have said "im happy with that play".

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hardly any if at all.

Na sounded like he was very happy with his play in the interview.
He might have said "im happy with that play".

Indeed. I know some caddies are more involved in the discussion than others and maybe he could have at least pointed out the situation in case Na wasn't aware (in the zone as they call it!). He played what he thought was best. It didn't work.