The ups and down of a teaching pro

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I booked a lesson with a pro who had really bought my swing on a year or so ago. I arrived 10 minutes before my allotted time and it was obvious that the guy being taught was marginally better than me (ha ha) - in fact, had his swing been available on Ebay I'd have had a go for it!

It turned out that his handicap had just gone up ...... From +5 to +4 he was an England amateur and wow did he hit it well!!

So, through my lesson the pro kept showing my swing compared to his!! Still he'd only have to give me 15 shots in Matchplay!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I know what you mean. The teaching pro I use to go to in Maidenhead was coach to a couple of LET players and some top amateurs and watching them hit balls and then getting on the mat to warm up after they finished was never much fun and usually produced the odd quality shank!

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
The last lesson I had, the teaching pro kept putting me up side by side on the monitor with Justin Rose as we are similar in height. The similarity deffo ends with height...:eek:

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think the guy Chrisd mentions is the club champion at my club.

I've had lessons with Paul, found him to be very good too. ;)

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Chris, is this at Camberley? One of our Pros trains the Surrey Jrs... Must say the wee little things can swing...
The pro I use has a habit of videoing my swing and then comparing it to what he calls a very good swing. And it's normally a video of some 13 year old girl that swings it like a dream and hits the ball distances that most forummers would be embarrassed about claiming to hit. Don't know why he feels the need to compare a middle aged, over weight man with a young, athletic and talented girl. He should be using Jason Dufner or Kevin Stadler as comparisons.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
This is at Kings Hill in Kent with Paul Page. He is the best coach i've worked with, very clearly gets his message across, gives a good value for money lesson, uses a lot of tried and trusted methods and sends a summary video a day or so later to my email which shows exactly what we're working on

Nice guy as well

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Think the guy Chrisd mentions is the club champion at my club.

What a good ball striker he is. Was off +5 but lost a stroke to +4 recently I understand. I believe that Sergio was the best amateur in Europe on +5 when he turned pro, shows how standards have improved!